Thread: Claudelands, Maeroa, Flagstaff, Hamilton any good???

Default Claudelands, Maeroa, Flagstaff, Hamilton any good???

Hi,

I've had a look at a number of threads about recommended/not recommended suburbs in Hamilton. There are a couple that haven't been mentioned that I would like some feedback about (ie. nice or avoid): Claudelands, Maeroa, Flagstaff?

Thanks for the help

Hmmm.... not sure I the best to help you, but sure Pink Piggy or Baldy Beardy Bloke will be more suited to give you the ins/outs of those areas.

Claudlands:
    Close to city (10/15 min walk into town centre, 3 min drive) older more established properties, very close to where new sports stadium will be built. Has some really nice streets but some quite rough areas too as I guess you would expect close to town. If I were in a position to buy a second property to rent out in Hamilton this would be my top choice of location. If I were a 'townie' I would consider living there.

Flagstaff:
    Very new area, oldest houses 4 years old. Has a good reputation, but houses have a price premium for that reason. Close to river for walks, close to out of town shopping areas in north of city. Most houses big (4 or 5 beds) lots of families and immigrants, not a lot of character (imho). Better value for money new homes in Rototuna if that's the style you want.

Maeroa:
    Don't know the area well, but sandwiched between Whitiora and Nawton, both of which are quite rough. Not an area of the city I would choose personally, but NZ rough is a billion miles from UK rough and there will be nice streets in that area and probably better bargains to be had too. Easy walk to the rugby ground.

I'll be coming from Oz.

There are also a couple of other areas that don't get much of a mention around Hamilton: Beerescourt, St Andrews, Hillcrest.

Beerescourt is just along from Maeroa and there are some lovely houses (big and small) in this area. In fact, my current favourite street is situated in Beerescourt although I'd need a lotto win to afford a house on it. That's not to say all houses are expensive, there's a good range of affordable housing.

St Andrews is just along from Beerescourt (sandwiched between Beerescourt and Pukete) and is another nice area.

Both Beerescourt and St Andrews are close to the river and The Base (for shopping).

Hillcrest has a lot of students but there are also some lovely family homes and very good schooling.

Just fire away if you would like any more info.

We are a young family with 2 toddlers (2.5yrs and 1yr). What suburbs have demographics of middle class families with toddlers??? We suburb we currently live in (in oz) has a number of young families and I find it nice to be able to walk to friends houses for a quick play or bumping into each other in the shops. We are planning on renting for at least the 1st 6 months.

The new sub-divisions on the north of the city (Rototuna, Flagstaff, Huntington primarily) are all family houses so lots of middle class families moving in there, plus they are building new schools, transport hubs, leisure facilities and shopping areas out that way (over the next two to three years - primary school finished, Rototuns shopping centre finished) so there will be plenty of opportunity to shop and meet friends for as coffee without going into the city.

Of course these are all brand new homes, so little character to the area, but equally plenty of choice of rentals there to choose from.

I think you will find most parts of Hamilton to be family friendly, including the areas that have been already mentioned. The older suburbs may provide a larger section and therefore more room for the children to play or for gardens.

One factor that may influence your choice of suburb is which part of Hamilton you will be working.

Shawn