Thread: Having a foreign nanny in NZ?

Default Having a foreign nanny in NZ?

Does anyone know how easy or difficult it is to have a foreign nanny / maid in New Zealand?
    Has anyone done it or tried to do it?
    A nanny from asia for example?
    Possibly English speaking such as from Malasia or Phillipines?

Haven't the slightest idea. But why would you explicitly want a foriegn nanny/maid? Just wondering.

Near a North Island beach, in New Zealand

I doubt you'd get permission from immigration for one to come here and work for you, as they don't 'qualify', and would most likely be a 'flight' risk as far as they're concerned, that is, they'd feel the nanny would probably become an overstayer.

But why would you explicitly want a foriegn nanny/maid
    I was wondering that myself. Not that there's anything wrong with a 'foreign' maid or nanny, but why not employ a local person?

Diny

if you were to act as a new zealand employer, you know, give somebody from the philippines a job offer, saying you searched high and low for someone that met your requirements, etc, maybe one of my kababayans would get that job offer, add it to her points and probably gather enough to make 100, and she will do the entire migration process from her end, maybe that would work.

a lot of good nannies can be found in my country, it's really our caring nature, plus the fact that we have a young population (lots of kids around!). THe problem would be the migration process, although this is better than the migration process in the US!

would you like to advertise? I could sound out the way for you, if you like.
    whatever, if you need help, just pm.

good luck!
    annie

Near a North Island beach, in New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by Annierobrigado
    if you were to act as a new zealand employer, you know, give somebody from the philippines a job offer, saying you searched high and low for someone that met your requirements, etc,
    I doubt immigration would buy that, as nannies aren't something we're lacking, and nannying itself isn't exactly a skill that is high on the list of skills the country is looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Diny
    but why not employ a local person?

Diny
    Maybe that would entail offering a decent pay rate and working conditions?

Sorry, that's the cynic in me talking. I'm sure there must be a genuine reason....

hi uk2kiwi

whereabouts are you in NZ? auckland has a lot of filipino migrants, although many of them are already settled in their own jobs so they might not have time to nanny. and since it is relatively easier to migrate to nz without having to resort to "hide and seek" tactics unlike that in the states, i suppose you won't find anyone who is unemployed at the moment to consider a fulltime job as a nanny.

what about "kid-pooling"? you know, as in car-pool? the mums can rotate duties of baby-sitting among themselves for maybe at most 2 days a week, while the rest of the mums go around with errands or part time jobs? well, this would mean many of the moms live near each other, and are willing to take on this neighborly duty. and that is, if you were part of a circle of similarly-placed mothers. you might be living in a place where the women are mostly career-oriented, or have been mothers but are empty nesters and are hesitant to take care of kids again, after so long. i understand why you need a nanny. is this a fulltime, stay-in job? you could advertise, say you welcome asians, and you might get replies from the grandmas of the filipinos who come with their sons' or daughters' families. good luck, whatever you decide!

annie

There are loads of nanny agencies in the NZ yellow pages and loads advertising in the papers.