Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any private pilots on the forum?

To be honest I haven't plotted the course not having charts for most of the route, but I'm not that adventurous. A couple of hours on a weekend morning burning holes in the sky is what I enjoy. 5 hours in the seat is lots more that I could do. I certainly can't wait to be able to explore NZ from 500 feet. And there are lots of small strips that my plane will be perfect for. Also, it's a great way to meet people and make friends.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
    hi brian!
    personally, i think having a plane and a pilot license would be the way to go in NZ. sure would make it easier and quicker to get to the south island instead of taking the ferry. plus i tend to get sea sick...
    I can relate. Anything smaller than a large inter-island car ferry and I'm spending the whole trip at the rail. I haven't tried it on a boat yet, but I use this when I fly. It really helps me with the nausea.

Cheers,
    -Brian*

Quote Originally Posted by bumpffslam View Post
    Flight training is very similar to UK. If you've done hours in UK, that will normally count in NZ.
    I think the same goes for the U.S. as well, which is good, since I don't think I'll be able to get my license before we emigrate (being optimistic about that).

So do you find flying in NZ to be more affordable than in the UK? I've heard that Australia has nearly strangled the general aviation community there with all kinds of fees, so I was hoping the situation in NZ wouldn't be quite so grim. Of course, we're pretty spoiled here in the 'States. We pay for the government's services mostly through Avgas taxes.

I'll be back with more questions once I have a better idea where exactly we're going to live. Thanks for the pointers!

Cheers,
    -Brian*

Quote Originally Posted by andrewp View Post
    Hi Brain... re-reading what I wrote, I should have been a bit more clear. My plane is being crated and packed in to our 40' container along with our household.
    Haha. I had a feeling you'd do it that way. But I've heard about people doing trips like that in small planes (maybe not as small as yours!) So I wouldn't have been surprised by that either, even though I think it's a bit crazy.

Here's a pic so you can see what I'm talking about...
    Don't think I've seen one of those before. She looks like she has pretty good STOL performance.

Hope to be sharing the sky with you soon. ...My bird will probably be a rental, but I'll recognize yours!

Cheers,
    -Brian*

I always dreamed of learning to fly, and looked at idea 2-3 times in UK, and i had 2-3 trial lessons (one in a WW1 tiger moth, flying upside down ), but just never had the cash.. Is learning any cheaper here at all?

Ah well one day maybe.....
    Last edited by Leccy-Lee; 21st July 2008 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewp View Post
    Also, it's a great way to meet people and make friends.
    Sure, I'll be your friend lol.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ22 View Post
    Sure, I'll be your friend lol.
    Cool

Actually I fly alone 90% of the time. I don't get lots of airport passes with 2 small boys so it's difficult coordinating times with flying mates. Once I'm there and have my licence sorted I'm always keen for company (as long as you're under 100kg and under 6' 4").

Default Flying in NZ cheaper than UK?

In absolute terms yes, by relative to income its a similar cost.

A C172 in NZ is probably NZ$200 per hour to hire solo around Auckland. Same in UK must now be circa GBP150, probably more around London.

At 2.6 $ per GBP, UK cost is NZ$390, so flying in NZ looks cheap. But most people find their income is half what they earnt in UK so it's relatively similar.

Flying is cheaper here because fuel, maintenancelabour and insurance are cheaper. Generally aircraft are worth a similar value world wide but with variations at times due to currency and shipping costs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12