Thread: Joiner

Default Joiner

My OH retrained as a Joiner and has completed his NVQ/C&G Level 2 through work based assessments. We are looking into emigrating and wondered whether a Level 2 qualification would be adequate as I know it states National Certificate Level 4, what is the equivalent of that? Also how much work experience is required or do they not take that into consideration?

Any help would be gratefull, thanks

Joanne

Have a look t the points calculator it will give you an idea of what points you can gain

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne123 View Post
    My OH retrained as a Joiner and has completed his NVQ/C&G Level 2 through work based assessments. We are looking into emigrating and wondered whether a Level 2 qualification would be adequate as I know it states National Certificate Level 4, what is the equivalent of that? Also how much work experience is required or do they not take that into consideration?

Any help would be gratefull, thanks

Joanne

Hi Joanne

My OH is a joiner, having over 25yrs experience. We just submitted his City and Guilds certificates, showed proof of all his years experience and apprenticeship and no questions asked.
    When we came over, joinery jobs were very much in demand, so check the jobs in demand. We got over here in 6 weeks with a job to go to, he had loads of offers.
    Feel free to PM us if we can help further.

Sharon
    x

My OH has NVQ/C&G2 in Carpentry/Joinery through work based assessment, and that was fine for 50 points for qualification. No NZQA assessment needed, either. That was in spring 2007, I don't know if things have changed since then but wouldn't expect so.
    He couldn't claim points for skills shortage, though, because for that he would have needed NVQ Level 3 which is the equivalent to a NZ Level 4.
    He claimed 5 years of work experience, most of it as self-employment, no problem.
    Hope this helps.
    Mareike

Quote Originally Posted by bartons View Post
    He claimed 5 years of work experience, most of it as self-employment, no problem.
    Hi - can I ask if they asked for any proof of this? my OH is in similar situation and we're coming over (as tourists looking for work) in october. Currently running around gathering paperwork and things we may need so any tips greatfully received

As proof of work experience for self-employment we used a letter from National Insurance that the contributions for self-employment (class 2) had been paid. (Contact National Insurance Contributions Office, Self Employment Services, BP3102, Benton Park View, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE98 1ZZ, Tel: 0191 2255236). The other proof were two letters from contractors for whom OH had worked as a sub-contractor. As he had worked for them for years the letters read more like a normal reference from an employer.
    However, apparently we could also have used letters of recommendation from clients, but the references from the contractors were easier to get than asking lots of different clients.
    Just contact us if you need more details.
    Mareike

Thanks for your replies, just wondered if there is a minimum amount of work experience required. Like I mentioned OH just retrained last year although he has sort of done it for years but not in a work capacity, he was a fence erector for a few years before that. We were looking at applying after christmas if possible so that would give him 16 months, not long I know, but would it be enough? He has his C&G Cert, does anybody know if work experience is a main factor?

Thanks, sorry for going on!!

Joanne

In the points calculator work experience starts counting from 2 years and over (10 points for 2 years+, 15 points for 4+ years etc.). I don't know how badly you need the points...

Quote Originally Posted by bartons View Post
    As proof of work experience for self-employment we used a letter from National Insurance that the contributions for self-employment (class 2) had been paid. (Contact National Insurance Contributions Office, Self Employment Services, BP3102, Benton Park View, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE98 1ZZ, Tel: 0191 2255236). The other proof were two letters from contractors for whom OH had worked as a sub-contractor. As he had worked for them for years the letters read more like a normal reference from an employer.
    However, apparently we could also have used letters of recommendation from clients, but the references from the contractors were easier to get than asking lots of different clients.
    Just contact us if you need more details.
    Mareike
    thanks you so much for this Have today written off to Nat Ins office
    OH has one ref already from a contractor he's worked for but I'll get him to try and gather a few more before we leave