Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: potentially odd CV question

Default potentially odd CV question

I need some feedback on an idea I have about my CV, please let me know what you think. I promise you won't hurt my feelings. ops:

I have found my dream job in Wellington and am putting together the covering letter and CV. Since I am applying long-distance (extremely long-distance) and won't be able to just pop on over for a casual interview, I was thinking about adding a photo of myself to my CV. Not a social-type picture (no shots of me at my brother's wedding I mean!) but a professional, though not-stuffy, kind of photo.

I should add that I am in a creative field (graphic design) and that one of my best friends is an extraordinarily good, professional photographer who will take the photo.

My thought is that a photo would give a more personal feel to my CV and might help balance the fact that they would not initially see me face-to-face. While...oops, make that "whilst"... I am willing to fly over should we get to an in-depth (perhaps, second) interview, I can't see making such a huge financial commitment if I am not seriously in the running.

As usual, I've probably gone overboard on explaining, but I REALLY want this job. So is it unprofessional or inappropriate? Is there any equal opportunity employment taboo that I'll break if they "discover" my gender and ethnicity? Not sure what red flags I would be sending culturally or other ways.

Any insights would be most appreciated.

Susan

PS I hate having my picture taken so I am not asking this lightly.

Have you got a website. if so would it be worth sending details of that.

I reckon it would do no harm to attach a pic with your details (rather than make it part of your cv).

I have had made applications for UK jobs in the past that have requred a passport pics with them.

Cant see it doing any harm (unless you look like a warthog or something!)

Susan,

I went for my "dream job" - applying from the UK. I managed a first phone interview which I thought went really well. The lady asked when I was going out there as I had mentioned the chance of a job hunting trip to the agency and they had relayed that on.

After 4 days I got an email back from the agency saying that the firm had interviewed 4 people and I was the only one they would consider for 2nd interview - what did "I" want to do next. So I replied saying that if the employer could say I had at least 50/50 chance of getting it I would happily jump on a plane!

Well.....the company would not give that guarantee and did not want any responsibility for me spending the airline fare if I did not get the job. I was gutted for the next day, as I was willing to make the commitment.

In hindsight....I am glad I did not go. The money is much needed elsewhere now we are finally going. If they would not even give 50/50 chances - would they have really given me the job? I doubt it!

So.......I would say that if a company wants you and you have a skill they need and can not find in NZ - THEY will make every effort to get you to take the job. There are plenty of jobs out there and a better "dream" job could be coming up the week you arrive. I know that is easy in hindsight to say :P

Neil

Hi Susan,

I think under the circumstances, attaching a photo to your CV is a good idea. It's not as if they can call you in for a quick 'chat' about the job to make sure you don't have purple hair and a nose ring (no offence to anyone with purple hair and a nose ring, it's just not a good interview look).

I wouldn't worry about the Equal Ops side of things. In large companies it's good practice to have strict recruitment policies and procedures, which will include a screening process for applications which ensures the 'screener' is not aware of any personal details of the applicant. In realitiy, very few companies go to the trouble, so I don't think you have anything to worry about there.

Milliemoo

p.s GOOD LUCK ! :mrgreen:

Having seen LOTS of CVs from prospective teachers applying for jobs at our school - I would say that 80-85% have personal photos on them.

Maybe it's a teacher thing...

Before having the boys I was a recruitment consultant for Brook Street. I would say that 90% of the applications I dealt with all had CVs with a photo on them.

Those CV's which didn't have a photo could be a tad confusing in as much as I interviewed many people each week, trying to remember who Joe Bloggs was without a pic was a pain.

I'd say definately put a picture on your CV.

Diny

Default pasphoto + cv

I have also put a photo on my cv (copy pasted a part of a NZ holiday photo in the Word doc). If you like i can sent my cv to you, maybe it will inspire you... and if you have any comment on my cv, that would be very helpfull for me too ofcourse!
    The chances of getting a job while you are not in New Zealand are not very big though. Would you hire someone you have never seen before?
    I have heard from several people (one of which has sent a 100! letters) that it is very rare to get a job from overseas. Finally this person took the chance and just went there to find a job and he had a job within 5 weeks in IT. He told me that in general they are looking for people in the short term (like: starting from tomorrow). I also got the tip from him to apply for a job directly and not through a recruitment agency.
    Personally i am going with a working holiday visum and will look for a job when i am in New Zealand (which will be from the 6th of april!).
    Still, i wish you good luck with your jobhunting!
    cheers,
    Karoline

Thank you all for the great feedback! I do know its a longshot at best but I am willing to go over at a moment's notice if they are particularly interested...just can't see it for a don't-let-the-door-hit-you-on-your-way-out kind of interview.

While I'm seen some stunningly well-done purple hair, I don't have anything that hip. Hmmm, I wonder if... :? No, really. I'm pretty "normal" looking so I thought that might also be a bit of subliminal reassurance to a potential employer.

I am hoping that the combination of graphic designers being on the immediate- and long-term shortage list plus an unusual good match of my experience to job needs might just overcome the distance issue. :hopeso

Karoline- I would love the chance to exchange CVs and insights. It would be fabulous to get an objective but friendly view before tossing it into the ring. Please PM me whenever yours is ready and I'll do the same if thats alright?

You people are such an incredible "family"!!!

Susan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast