Thread: Urgent salary survey!!

Default Urgent salary survey!!

Hi everyone,

My OH has been offered a job in Hamilton. It is a Computer Engineering Research and Development job. We are in the process of trying to negotiate salary and I was wanting to know what kind of salary is (before tax if possible) being paid for people in these positions in NZ. I've looked at the salary things on the NZ Immigration website, but their categories are way to general to make any real use of it when know how much to ask for (OH has been asked to give a $value). OH has a PhD in computer engineering, and has been working in academia (Post Doc position) for the past 2.5yrs. The job he has been offered is an industry position.

OH is going to be talking to the boss of the company tomorrow so if anyone could help out ASAP that would be great.

Have you checked out the Hays Salary Survey thread.

Ian

I did check this out a while ago. Will have another look. From memory I still think it was a little general.

The Hays Salary Survey report only has software development categories whereas OH job offer is in hardware development which is a totally different area.

Quote Originally Posted by melly View Post
    The Hays Salary Survey report only has software development categories whereas OH job offer is in hardware development which is a totally different area.
    Ok, how about Seek salary centre?

Ian

Hi,

Sorry, I have no idea about pay scales for a position like that, but some general advise would be to counter offer about 15-20% more than what they are offering and negotiate somewhere in the middle.

Milliemoo

Quote Originally Posted by Milliemoo View Post
    Hi,

Sorry, I have no idea about pay scales for a position like that, but some general advise would be to counter offer about 15-20% more than what they are offering and negotiate somewhere in the middle.

Milliemoo
    Thanks for the advice. What is the general consensus/opinion on asking for other benifits in the salary package eg.fuel card, mobile phone, phone/internet???? I don't know what sort of tax breaks companies can get in NZ for these sorts of things.

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    Ok, how about Seek salary centre?

Ian
    Thanks Ian. This looks more useful. Forwarded it to OH to see if he can fit the position into one of the categories.

Default Employee Benefits in NZ

In NZ rather than tax breaks companies often incur additional taxes for providing employees benefits like these. Therefore many jobs do not provide them unless the role is a key company position or they can show an important business reason for providing the benefits (e.g. Mobile phone to staff who need to always be contactable).

Shawn

Bonuses seem pretty common here.