2 12.50%
  • < $4

10 62.50%
  • > $4

4 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $4 Coffee

Default $4 Coffee

There's an article in the Herald today about the cost of living index which suggests that the average price paid for a coffe in Auckland is $4.

Now I know if you go to Starbucks you'll pay that (and some!) but I find it very hard to believe that the average price people in Auckland pay for coffee is $4

I would suggest it's nearer to $3.50.

Soooooooooo how about a poll JA....ooops, Aucklanders, Cast your vote now.

Milliemoo

I've voted and assume you mean "How much do I pay for a cup of coffee purchased at a cafe" rather than How much does a jar of coffee cost at the supermarket.

I guess it depends a bit on what sort of coffee you drink. I used to drink lattes in the UK but very rapidly switched to flat whites here as to me there was very little difference in taste/look but in cost it tended to be about 50c. However, since the COL has gone up I've cut back my morning coffees quite a bit as I suddenly realised how much they were costing each month. Especially as its all too easy to have a yummy muffin to go with it and then it cost >$6 !

Anneliese

Quote Originally Posted by Milliemoo View Post
    There's an article in the Herald today about the cost of living index which suggests that the average price paid for a coffe in Auckland is $4.

Now I know if you go to Starbucks you'll pay that (and some!) but I find it very hard to believe that the average price people in Auckland pay for coffee is $4

I would suggest it's nearer to $3.50.

Soooooooooo how about a poll JA....ooops, Aucklanders, Cast your vote now.

Milliemoo
    I voted under $3. The local Hollywood bakery next to work sells coffee plus free muffin at $2.70 and the only place I'll get coffee from

I read that article this morning and also thought the prices should be closer to $3.50 imho

Jen

Mostly mine are $4+, the odd place I go (like this afternoon) comes in at $3.50, but then again I always get an upsize.....

I have never paid less than 3.50.....

I haven't been out much for coffee recently () as we are supposed to be saving, but when I'm out I do like my coffee with plenty of froth, caramel syrup etc...so it is rarely under $4.

Well I don't live in Auckland, so I haven't voted, but my family will starve before I go without my daily coffee. And I have a double shot cappuccino - which averages $4 in Cambridge and $3.70 elsewhere.

I can't help thinking what these prices all mean in UK £ and usually have xe.com on standby... So even at $4 that's about £1.50? Sounds very reasonable... I'm not a coffee drinker here but I'm sure that's cheap by our standards... I suppose it's all relative when you're used to maybe paying less out there and you're finding things are becoming more expensive??

Having said that I nearly spat my dummy out and had a proper tantrum when I had to pay £7 (circa $18) for two small ice creams and a small bottle of water at Ullswater (Lakes, Cumbria) today... Oh yes, and £16 for lunch (that's about $40 for two rolls and a bowl of soup, 2 glasses lemonade!!)

Saskia

Saskia,

Its very important you don't fall into the trap of just converting dollars to pounds - thats fine if you are the tourist but not if you are earning $NZ.

The more important issue is how much of your weekly wage you spend on such items. Thats why $4 can seem expensive to those living here, while those visiting may think it sounds reasonable..

Most people I know feel the cost of living is high in NZ and have had to take steps to budget in a way they hadn't had to previously. Some do this very successfully and happily, for others its just not worth it.

I've noticed a lot of the local Mums have bought those posh looking coffee flasks, and often bring their own coffee to sports or school now.

Cheers

Tia

$4 for a coffee. I pay £1.55 ($4.14) for a regular black americano where I work in London WC1 that makes Auckland coffee expensive

Quote Originally Posted by Tia Maria View Post

I've noticed a lot of the local Mums have bought those posh looking coffee flasks, and often bring their own coffee to sports or school now.
    I've got one of those too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast