Thread: Renting Apartments

Question Renting Apartments

I will be renting when I arrive in NZ, but wanted to know if I need to provide references from back home. What do the landlords actually require from foreigners wanting to rent in NZ?

It really depends on the landlord; ours wanted to meet us but didn't want any references (which was lucky as we didn't have any). Other people have needed references.

The general requirement is for 2-4 weeks rent as a bond (held by a government organisation) and 2 weeks rent in advance. If you go through a letting agent you will need to also pay an agent's fee of 1 week plus GST (and sometimes this is payable even if you don't go through an agent).

It pretty much depends on the landlord but your best bet is to bring references if you have them.

Agencies often ask for an employment contact - presumably so they can check that you are employed and can pay the rent? I was asked to provide the name and address of a family member in NZ for one place, which I obviously wasn't able to do! I gave a friend's address instead. I can't recall them actually asking for references from previous landlords etc though.

Private landlords are not allowed to charge any fees for renting a property to you, and the maximum bond payable is equivalent to 3 weeks rent.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryS View Post
    Private landlords are not allowed to charge any fees for renting a property to you, and the maximum bond payable is equivalent to 3 weeks rent.
    I agree with Kerry.

The first place we rented from a property management company charged 1 week plus GST on top of the bond, but now that we're renting from a private landlord, we only paid 2 weeks' bond plus 1 week in advance. The guy who was mandated by our landlord to take care of his place told us only agents can charge the week plus GST bit.

We were prepared to provide previous landlord details at our 1st place, albeit having just come from overseas but we weren't asked. Same thing for the place we are in now, I even gave him my manager's number at work but he told me no one ended up calling him

Jen

Thank you, that answers my q's...I will definitely bring references then.