Thread: Assessment for Teaching

Question Assessment for Teaching

Does anyone know if you have to send off the General Teaching Council Registration card off as well, just so that they know whether you are registered as a teacher in the UK?

Also is it best to wait until you have had the assessment done before applying for Teacher Registration or can I do both at the same time and then send off report to New Zealand Teachers Council once it comes back from NZQA.

Thank you

Lucy

Hi Lucy
    I sent my GTC card off to NZQA. I sent as much stuff as I could find in the hope that it would help my assessment to be completed

You can send off for NZTC at the same time as NZQA but...

NZTC only want photocopies of certificates as you don't get stuff back. You need to send certified copies of certs...full details on their website

NZQA only want originals and you do get stuff back so make sure you have certified copies for TC before you send NZQA off otherwise you have to wait for originals to come back.

NZQA will send their assessment to NZTC as well as a copy to you. There is a question on TC form, I think, that asks what level NZQA have assessed you at so I put that NZQA were still assessing.

Hope that helps..ask about anything else if you have other questions

Hi Lucy

Like tea drinker I sent off my GTC card to NZQA with all the other stuff for assessment. I've just got my NZQA assessment back (and they have sent a copy to Teachers Council) and am about to get my police check redone (my one for my PR visa is well out of date) so I can send off my teacher reg form.

If it helps I sent my assessment form to NZQA in April and got it back from them last week. All my documents were OK, they asked me to get more info on my PGCE, which I couldn't do and so I told them and they said 'OK we'll use the information we already have'! I wasn't complaining and assessment seems to be in order. Feel free to ask any questions.

Tamzin

I included a copy of my teacher's certificate with both applications. Do get your documents off to NZQA as soon as you possibly can. It takes quite a while. The Teachers Council is very cooperative but can also take longer than you might think. Your packages to both should be as complete as possible and if explanation is necessary include it. For example, I took a slightly different path to certification than most teachers, and I included a detailed explanatory memo. The Teachers Council will use the information from your assessment as WELL as the certified documentation you send them. Good luck with it all! S.

Thank you all for your advice. I am unable to supply transcripts for one year of my degree, I emailed the University and they couldn't find any information either! I have kept the email that they sent, and will send that off as proof that I tried to get the information! Luckily my PGCE was more recent and the University sent me a transcript.

It is a horrible thought all your certificates that you have worked so hard for are going to the other side of the world! Courier is expensive, I am tempted to take all the documents with me when we go on holiday next week and hand deliver it (at least I know it will have arrived)!

I know what you mean about shipping off treasured documents--made me gulp, too! Good news is that they did come back. We couriered--worth the peace of mind. S.