Thread: North shore rental properties?

Question North shore rental properties?

I have been looking on Trade Me - but when I found agents letting prices they seem to be cheaper? (not the same properties) .

How did anyone else find their home when they first arrived?

Tia posted this thread about Devonport, but some of the links would be useful for you I think http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....highlight=rent

We found our first rental through an agent...but it was a private landlord, they just paid agent to find tenant. Second rental was through Trade Me, and our most recent one way through an agent advertising on Trade me.

Remember that rental rates can often be negotiated a little bit. Often private landlords think they will make more money by doing it themselves and we regularly see propeties up for rent in the area, only to reduce the rate a few weeks later as no one will pay it. One of our neighbouring houses was advertised for $650 wk recently, and I found out the new tenants are paying $585 wk.....bit of a difference there!

$650 wk recently, and I found out the new tenants are paying $585
    That's suspiciously exactly 10% off, which makes me wonder if the landlord wasn't expecting to concede that much.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ22 View Post
    That's suspiciously exactly 10% off, which makes me wonder if the landlord wasn't expecting to concede that much.
    I think in an area full of immigrants that someone would just come along and pay it and not realise they could bargain.....but you're right, that is probably what they were expecting to get if they went with an agent.

Talking

Thanks i actually didnt consider making offers on rental

The other possibility is to sort out short term accommodation, while you hunt for the perfect rental. Check out:

www.wotif.com

And do a forum search for the term 'bach', these are NZ holiday lets and make a good place to stay when you first arrive.

Cheers

Tia

That's what we've done - a 2 month furnished holiday let in Devonport to give us time to look around without too much pressure. It actually didn't work out too expensive when you consider that as a holiday let we won't be paying the utility bills.

Talking

Thats a good idea thanks

if you decide to do this definitely make sure you negotiate the price - we got ours down by 50% from their starting (short term) rate, so well worth a couple of emails, asking very nicely, what they can offer you for a long term stay