Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heat Pumps - Efficient But Not Cheap

Default Heat Pumps - Efficient But Not Cheap

As winter weather bites, so have the electricity bills, with heat pumps being blamed for skyrocketing accounts
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/...ectid=10524722

Heat pumps were efficient but still impacted heavily on power bills, Mr Hill said.
    "There is a perception out there that heat pumps are almost free to use - that is not the case at all.
    "We don't think it would be uncommon for people who are running them really hard to incur costs of up to $5 a day," he said.
    Trustpower staff told disgruntled Timaru customer Moira Melhopt that a heat pump could cost up to $7 a day to run.
    Milliemoo

Apart from the fact they're useless in a power cut, this is another reason we've never been tempted to get heat pumps.

Never mind heat pumps....... it's light bulbs which are a killer!

I've just got this months bill in. Prices have gone up so we average around $80/85 per month. This one's for $101! The only thing we've done differently is replaced about half a dozen or so bulbs that had popped and I hadn't got round to replacing.

Needless to say, I'm supping my vino (it's gone 5pm ) in candle light....listening to Pink Floyd....and I'm now officially on holiday....actually, thinking about it, life's not all bad

Milliemoo

Quote Originally Posted by Milliemoo View Post
    Never mind heat pumps....... it's light bulbs which are a killer!

I've just got this months bill in. Prices have gone up so we average around $80/85 per month. This one's for $101! The only thing we've done differently is replaced about half a dozen or so bulbs that had popped and I hadn't got round to replacing.

Needless to say, I'm supping my vino (it's gone 5pm ) in candle light....listening to Pink Floyd....and I'm now officially on holiday....actually, thinking about it, life's not all bad

Milliemoo

I'll be joining you when my wine delivery (aka OH) arrives... and I'll cuddle up wiv me two heatpumps.. the dogs...

Quote Originally Posted by Moorf View Post

I'll cuddle up wiv me two heatpumps.. the dogs...
    dog farts....nice!

Milliemoo

*gasp* Girls don't fart

For ages I thought heat pumps were a renewable source of energy using geothermal energy! I had no idea they mean Air Con.

We've got a reverse cycle Daikin air con system and we have chewed through the electricity over the winter months. Our bill shot up from around $270 to just over $500 last month based on an actual reading rather than an estimate (not that the estimates have been that far out)! Looking at the actual number of 'Units Used' its hardly surprising, the last actual reading we'd used 1125 units, this time around we've used 2347.

Just as soon as I can figure out the budget we're going to be looking at more insulation and replacing some (if not all) the windows!

Anneliese

OH has just come home today & is talking about heat pumps & getting one installed, we have a DVS & flued gas heater in living area & rely on electric rads in the bedrooms but bills are huge
    I'm now a little more confused than I was when he got home, knowing nothing about heat pumps so any advice on here would be great, love to hear good & bad points please

I've just got this months bill in. Prices have gone up so we average around $80/85 per month. This one's for $101!
    Heh, we're paying the equivalent of $120 gas and $80 electric per month here in the UK, and that's before the price rises (Centrica just announced a 35% increase, then announced massive profits, the *^&%&(^), with on;ly two of us (though it is averaged out over the whole year of course so it doesn't go up in winter. So your quote doesn't seem so bad to me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast