Thread: Baby food and international flights

Default Baby food and international flights

Hi,
    tried to find if this has been covered already on forum and couldn't find it anywhere. What are the rules about taking baby food on international flights??

When we flew a year or so ago grom Gatwick to either USA or Cyprus we had to open the jar & dip a finger & taste it to show it was OK, not somethimg I wanted to do at 6am

MMmmmmmmmmm nice

what about sippy cups of water or milk? Or would I have to take them on empty and get the hostess to fill them on the plane?

Quote Originally Posted by melly View Post
    what about sippy cups of water or milk? Or would I have to take them on empty and get the hostess to fill them on the plane?
    We had to empty all of that but bought milk & water from the duty free shop once your through to the "other side" if you know what I mean.
    Feel free to pm me if you need anything further

The rules about cabin baggage, including liquids, were relaxed in January this year. You can take milk, water and food on international flights for children now.

This is what it says on Heathrow Airport's site:

What about a bottle of prepared milk or sterilized water, do they need to be a maximum of 100ml?

No, nor do they have to fit in the resealable bag. However, the amount must be sufficient for your trip only and you will be asked to taste the liquids by a security officer. There are no limits on powder formula and bottled water is available in shops after security and airlines can provide water during the flight.

Every country which is implementing the new security arrangements has accepted that parents with babies should be able to carry sufficient baby food/milk for the journey, so "reasonable amounts" are exempted although you may be asked to taste them.

What about jars of baby food?

Any jars of baby food will be required to be opened and tasted, they do not need to go into the re-sealable bag.

What about pureed food in plastic pots or containers?

Any pots of baby food will be required to be opened and tasted; they do not need to go into the re-sealable bag.
    And this is what Australia's Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government's guidance says:

Travelling with a Baby

Where you are travelling with a baby, baby products in reasonable amounts required for the flight are exempt from LAGs restrictions. Where the volume of baby products is deemed excessive by security screening staff, it will not be allowed through the screening point.

If you are carrying any baby products have them ready for inspection. It is also reasonable for security screening staff to expect that you will be carrying a baby with you. So if you're travelling in a large group or as a family, ensure that you and your baby go through the security screening point together.

Baby products may include:

* baby milk;
    * sterilised water;
    * baby juice;
    * baby food in liquid, gel or paste form; and
    * wet wipes.

Security screening staff have the final say regarding what items are allowed through the screening point. If the security screening officer decides that you are attempting to take unreasonable amounts of non-prescription medication or baby products through the screening point, you may be asked to surrender some or all of these products. If you fail to do so you will not be allowed to proceed through the screening point.

From my experiences, don't ever put empty bottles and cups in the bottom of bags!! Once x-rays pick up there is bottles in the bag, even it is empty, custom staffs want to see it!
    You get the ideas, I had to fished out four empty cups and bottles out of the bag at custom in the front of custom staffs while my OH dealing with two children under 3, so stressful...
    So put all bottles and cups in the easy place to reach as quick as you can.

We've just travelled to Zurich via Dubai and back to Johannesburg on Emmirates. We did have to empty our 3 year old's juice bottle, but no problem with about 5 baby bottles with "cooled down" boiled water. Also no problem with formula powder.

Good luck. One trick we did learn on the trip... do an on-line checkin 24 hours before departure. It's the only way to be sure you get bulkhead seats and a bassinet. We had our 9mo son on our laps for one of the daytime flight legs and that was murder. Especially not fun when the person in the seat in front wanted his seat fully reclined for the whole flight.