Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTR Liver ALT Test :-(

Unhappy WTR Liver ALT Test :-(

Hi All,

This is my first post, so please bear with me, ill try and fill in the background.

Spent a lot of last year in NZ on a "Working Holiday" visa, found a great company that I really enjoyed but had to leave to come home for family reasons.

Now my old boss wants me to come back with a great job offer (i work in IT so its on the Imediate and long term skills shortage list) I spoke briefly to NZ Immigration in London who said the Work To Residence was the best track to take if i wanted to get out there quickly (im trying to get this all done in less than 2 months)

I've now got my police certificate, and had my medical and chest x-rays done. However all is fine except my ALT Liver function is slightly high (the doctor said it wasnt worryingly high but i should be aware of it the scale is something like 0-48 for normal function and mine is 96 that sounded very high to me until i spoke to the doc again who said yes but if you had hepititus for example that could be in the 0000's. Its the only abnormal result in all my tests my BMI is 30 blood pressure is fine etc, i may be a little over weight but nothing great.

My question is, does anybody, know or think that the ALT liver test result will be a problem (causing referral or further tests) as these will obviously take time and more money.

And also does the WTR seem like the right choice of visa for what im doing.

I'll be gonig to NZ house on tuesday to submit everything but thought i'd ask here first as you all seem so helpful.

Thanks

Chris

I cannot help you with NZ authorities, but can confirm that could be consequence of hepatitis. I had one (type A I believe) in primary school and at last medical checking these values were also well above normal values.

Hi

I also had raised levels ALt (only 53) and gamma GT. My doc said to get a hep c test done as the Ma would prob ask for that anyway. As i have private medical insurance i am also having a liver scan (ultrasound). So i have it ready if they ask for it. It may be worth getting these done if you want to speed up the process.

J

Hello, and welcome, Chris. Good luck with everything.

They may ask for a hepatitis test done as well ? Depends on the medical examiner I think.

Hi
    it is not uncommon for liver function tests to come back with slight elevations in values. sometimes it can be as simple as you have been exposed to a virus (something so mild that you didn't feel poorly), as the liver de-toxifies the body the enzymes can go a bit high during this period. sometimes it can be a fatty liver that causes the raised levels and that will show up on a liver scan. sometimes there is no obvious reason and they settle again and of course there are times when problems do exist.

I am a nurse so I have had quite a bit to do with these type of blood results, but also the other week my husband had to have his blood tested for a medical at work and his ALT levels etc were all over the place. He thought he had all sorts the matter with him, a repeat blood test showed the levels had gone up making it even more worrying, but a scan revealed a fatty liver and no more was said.

i hope this helps. we are just booking medicals and I am really fretting about them, ( i know too much as nurse which isn't good!) so i know how you must feel when you have your dream almost in your grasp, you don't want anything to mess it up or find out you are ill either!

best of luck!

Hi Chris
    My Gamma and ALT levels were high too, the gamma reading was 106!!
    My doctor put this down to the cotraceptive pill and also prolonged anti-biotic use to clear up pneumonia which I had a couple of years ago but may have damaged my liver in some way. I had to be tested for Hep C at extra cost, then have a liver ultrasound scan (revealed absolutely nothing though - my liver is lovely!) and then a letter from my own GP stating that I am fit and healthy and he thinks there is no need for further tests.
    I handed all the scans into NZ house and am still waiting for the final decision to get back from the MA.
    I am hoping I have saved enough time to get over there before my OH starts work by pre-empting the scan they would've wanted.
    Good luck with everything

Claire

Mine was slightly raised and the examining doctor put notes to the effect that it was only a slight rise and nothing to be worried about. I also saw my own doctor in an attempt to pre-empt any further questions and he said that the figures are so slight it was nothing to worry about. Also if he was to do anything and the result was higher showing a trend upwards, it may then cause immigration to have concerns and require very thorough testing afterwards.

the commonest reason for a raised gamma gt is alcohol.
    ALT and AST are different and could signifiy ongoing inflammation. One can not read too much about one test result.

Default My high liver readings....explained!

Thanks everyone whos answered, submitted my WTR applcation this morning, the clerk said I was borderline but she couldnt say as it wasnt her decision.

Speaking to my mum, she belives the damage was caused when i was 17.... I had a really bad cold, and treated myself to all the Lemsip Max Strength Drinks, and Beechams Cold & Flu Powders i could find, she's a nurse and noticed how much id taken and they got me into hospital for 4 days!, they said then there maybe some liver damage apparently. The problem is, i completly forgot about this when i completed my medical form that asked if id ever been into hospital and why. Now im worried if i mention it, it'll look like im hiding something or lied on my form...problem is it also explains the damage without the need for further testing i guess.

Oh what to do?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast