Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medical Requirements for residency

Default Medical Requirements for residency

Can anybody advise how strict the exam and requirements are. The medical application form to be completed by a doctor is very lengthy and asks about everything.
    I have had heart surgery some years ago and take medication for heart. - Will this rule me out even though the only check I have is a check up once a year??.

Hi Paul - we had our meds today - I posted in the main forum - take a peek...

Doc assured me that they are mainly looking for TB and Syphillus (?spelling!) plus they are getting hot on obesity and associated probs. Basically, anything that may mean you may be a burden on their health system.....

Moorf

aaaaaaaaagh :?

Don't moorf your scaring me what if the say I am overweight?

Oh!!! I'm worried now.

Us women worry about silly things like this only about 1 half stone over weight but still it's scary

Tara

A little overweight is OK. The doc's will look at your height to weight ratio and work out a body mass index figure (weight in kgs/(height msize=9]2[/size] if memory serves)

:?

Tara.. at 1 or 1.5 stone overweight you will have NO probs at all.. honest girlie - don't worry, I did ok at a stone over!! And even then he said that my weight was more "normal" than the accepted norm so NO PROBS!!

You can check your BMI here: http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bmicalc.htm if it helps put your mind at rest.

Basically, unless your BMI is 35/36 you have NO PROBS! Consider this - a BMI of 30 is considered obese and they are looking at alot more than that!!!

((( hugs )))

PM me if you are really stressed...

Thank you both I will try not to panic, I don't even know when we are doing the medicals yet :?:

Ok Diet starts now

Will check out the bmi index later

Thanks Moorf

Good luck for the weekend will be thinking of you

Default Medicals..

Many countries have specific doctors to do all the New Zealand medicals. I know that this is the case in Canada and South Africa. It can be a hassle travelling long distances to have medicals done. It they are done in New Zealand, it may just be more convenient.

Originally from Malaysia, in Wellington since May 2005

My BMI is 31 and I am worried! I have started dieting... hopefully I will loose enough weight before my turn comes for the medicals.

I know someone whose application got turned down due to obesity! If you have been to NZ there are lots of obese people out there!

Quote Originally Posted by karltsmith
    A little overweight is OK. The doc's will look at your height to weight ratio and work out a body mass index figure (weight in kgs/(height msize=9]2[/size] if memory serves)

:?
    just to share. Body mass index or BMI is a more accurate way of knowing whether you are overweight, obese or underweight. you can calculate your bmi by weight in kgs / height in sq m. Normal range for bmi is 18.3 to 22.9. but that's for asian values, although i think it's very similar for caucasian values.

overweight is bmi of 23 - 24.9; obese class 1 from 25 - 29.9 and obese class 2 >30. you increase your risk of diseases like diabetes or hypertension or even myocardial infarction (heart attack) as you increase your bmi.

so i hope new zealand will encourage you to walk, run, hike, swim, climb, jog, surf, what ever to get your metabolic rates going and your bmi's falling. it's a great outdoor feeling anywhere in nz, so maybe those with diabetes will see an improvement in themselves, like decreasing the dosage of their maintenance drugs, or even seeing their blood sugar levels go down to manageable levels that may not need medications! plus an overall sense of wellbeing...

thus endeth the lecture in physical fitness and health for today

build good lifestyle habits!

annie

If you want to calculate your BMI check out the following link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cgi-perl/health...at/bodymass.pl

18.5 - 25 is normal
    25 - 30 overweight
    30 + obese

But I have found 3 other calculators that give a different range. Personally I prefer the US versions as they put me just in the overweight range.

No choccie biccies for lunch today. :?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast