Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any recent removals quotes for a 20 foot container?

Default Any recent removals quotes for a 20 foot container?

Has anyone had the removal companies in for quotes recently? What sort of price are you getting for sole use of a 20 foot container?

We've had 3 quotes and they were all much higher than the £3k I was expecting to see.

The assessors varied by how much space they thought we'd need - between one and one-and-a-half 20ft containers.

The quotes so far (for Swindon to Picton) are
    Crown - £4768 for 1 container (the gent doing the estimating used to be a packer and thought we could fit everything in one container - albeit packed all the way to the back doors).
    GB Liners - £4299 for one 'and a bit' containers. The written quote is for everything the assessor saw, but doesn't specify anything about how the 'bit' will go.
    John Mason - £3770 for 1 20ft container and an additional £1995 for the partial container.

Time for a clearout - but even with just one container, the quotes are higher than I was expecting.

Hi,
    Well we have just had our stuff packed with GB liners and they quoted us £3600 for a 20ft container but we managed to get them down to £3200! Think crown came in at around £3800, Britannia at £3200 and Anglo Pacific £3700 but they also agreed to come down to around £3500 but we decided to go with GB liners in the end.
    Cheers,
    Jo

£3,328 - Southampton to Auckland

Next company quoted £1,000 higher!

Thanks both - those quotes are more in line with what I was expecting. I'll drop the companies an email and see if there is any room to move on the original quotes.

Hi Inz, I think they're all pretty 'loose' on the price. We've had 5 quotes, all said a 20' container would do us, prices ranged from £4200 - Britannia to £3200 - John Mason the others were in between. We're moving from East Midlands to Whangarei. If memory serves me right there wasn't one company who said "this is price and that's that" definately haggle!

Good luck! Carole

Our quotes varied from £3300 to £4000 and included crating a motorbike in the container. We accepted Crown at £4000 and tried to haggle with them - eventually getting £50 off, so they are not really open to move a lot on price!

Bx

We had Whites - £3100, John Mason - £3300 and PSS - £3500 approx. All said the stuff we had was too much for a 20ft but by leaving some of it and having as good clear out we have got it down to a 20ft. Gone with Whites but John Mason were very good at negotiating but they use The Moving Company and not NZ Van lines so we opted for Whites instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickstim View Post
    Our quotes varied from £3300 to £4000 and included crating a motorbike in the container. We accepted Crown at £4000 and tried to haggle with them - eventually getting £50 off, so they are not really open to move a lot on price!

Bx

That's interesting Barb, I haven't tried to haggle yet, but the way the man who did the quote was talking I got the impression they'd be a bit more 'generous'. I suppose the thought of a price reduction is a bit of a carrot.

I'm looking on ebay to see if I can buy one of those devices they use on Startrek, then I'll just zap everything over there!

Carole

Hi
    we have had quotes from Cornwall which included packing at store as the lanes are too narrow for a container! and reange from 3500 to 5500 I was suprised as well we have managed to ahhgle a little off PSS. Britannia were a joke they obviously do not want the business. Whites said all they were doing was overseas removals and they were quite competitive but could not do our dates

Just had two so far - Anglo said 30ft @ £5200 and PSS 20ft at a squeeze for £3600.

We've already managed two carloads to the dump - it's amazing what seeing the figures can do for my de-cluttering technique. I think I could get myself a 'life laundry' TV show off the back of it.

Was tempted to book soon for Jan '09 and hadn't thought about haggling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast