Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need new passport...

Question Need new passport...

My passport (British) is due to run out in a few weeks (ooops!). What do I need to do to renew it and what will I need to pay?

If it costs more to renew UK one than it will cost me to get NZ citizenship (which I became eligible for last September) then I may just get the NZ passport instead (or is it the citizenship fee PLUS a passport fee??)

I want to retain both passports in the long term.

Is there a time limit on how long I can be in NZ without a valid British or NZ passport as that will be situ in a few weeks!

I just recently renewed my UK passport in London and it cost around £100 - the extra money is to pay for the new RFID chip in the back, another wonderful government IT invention that it took a researcher an hour to hack!

I'd imagine the embassy in Welly can advise: http://ukinnewzealand.fco.gov.uk/en/...ealand/contact

http://ukinnewzealand.fco.gov.uk/en/...-your-passport suggest it's over $300 for the UK one

Quote Originally Posted by Moorf View Post
    My passport (British) is due to run out in a few weeks (ooops!). What do I need to do to renew it and what will I need to pay?

If it costs more to renew UK one than it will cost me to get NZ citizenship (which I became eligible for last September) then I may just get the NZ passport instead (or is it the citizenship fee PLUS a passport fee??)

I want to retain both passports in the long term.

Is there a time limit on how long I can be in NZ without a valid British or NZ passport as that will be situ in a few weeks!
    Ooh I didn't know you had to keep your passport up to date, I would have just left mine until I needed to travel then get a new one

The citizenship fee doesn't include the passport fee. When you get citizenship, you're presented with your certificate along with an application form for a passport which you have to send off to the DIA with the fee. Even more money to the NZ Gvmt!

Quote Originally Posted by Georgebulldog View Post
    Ooh I didn't know you had to keep your passport up to date, I would have just left mine until I needed to travel then get a new one
    I don't think there is any requirement to have a passport until you want to travel.

NZ passport fees are IN ADDITION to the citizenship charges.

If you get your UK passport renewed you need to make sure that the NZ Visa gets replaced too; it is not done automatically. We had a rather worrying experience at Heathrow a few months ago when they noticed that we didn't have NZ visas, then more hassle at Christchurch and so on...

Passports from here... http://ukinnewzealand.fco.gov.uk/en/ cant remember how long AJ's took to come through...

AFAIK you dont have to have a passport unless you want to travel, but personally i would hate to be without one and unable to leave the country if I had to...

NZ passports are very quick to be issued (faster than UK embassy ones) but it could take you a year to get citizenship (I think thats how long it took for Singel).

Hi Helen

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13941

I got mine sorted very quickly Just cost $$$

Marie x

Thanks everyone

Whoa, will be the first time I don't have a valid passport since I was born (travelled to live in Gib within weeks of being born!) Like JubJub said, it's the not having one handy that gets me, it's not a requirement as such.

Well, better start saving

Quote Originally Posted by mylesdw View Post
    I don't think there is any requirement to have a passport until you want to travel.

NZ passport fees are IN ADDITION to the citizenship charges.

If you get your UK passport renewed you need to make sure that the NZ Visa gets replaced too; it is not done automatically. We had a rather worrying experience at Heathrow a few months ago when they noticed that we didn't have NZ visas, then more hassle at Christchurch and so on...
    2 questions on this,
    I have now been asked 3 times since I have been here to show my passport with the PR visa in. If this was to expire then surely I would have to renew it and get the PR visa put back in whether or not I was flying out of the country?

When your passport expires, I take it you would have to send it to Wellington immigration to get the visa put back in?

Thankyou in advance for advice on this

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline and Dave View Post
    2 questions on this,
    I have now been asked 3 times since I have been here to show my passport with the PR visa in. If this was to expire then surely I would have to renew it and get the PR visa put back in whether or not I was flying out of the country?

When your passport expires, I take it you would have to send it to Wellington immigration to get the visa put back in?

Thankyou in advance for advice on this
    Good question but my guess is that although the passport is expired (ie you can't travel on it) the visa remains current; it has been issued for X years rather than until the passport expires. That's only my guess, I don't actually know!

Yes, you need to get the new passport and the old one along to the passport office. I have an NZ passport so it didn't affect me but the rest of the family got new UK passports BUT because they had been granted citizenship it did not occur to me that we needed visas any more. No one noticed on any of the UK bound flights but when we turned up at LHW to come home there was quite a problem!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast