Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: having trouble finding temp lodging in wellington

Default having trouble finding temp lodging in wellington

First off, i think i'm confused. A couple of questions came up recently that have me scratching my head...

What exactly is the definition of a Motel in New Zealand?
    Are there age limits to Hostels?

Now a bit of info:

We're both 30, used to traveling light / without luxury (hostels are fine in our books) and we need a week or two's accomodation in wellington when we arrive.

Here are our requirements:
    under 750$NZD a week (but of course as inexpensive as possible )
    big enough for 2 plus stuff
    kitchen of some sort
    in the CBD or relatively close to it so we can try and find an apt.

It's pretty simple, am i shooting for the moon here? If finding something like that in the core is impossible, where should i be looking?

As we're paying our own way (no jobs) and want to eventually live somewhere in the core, these make sense to me.

*sigh*

thanks in advance!

try the Quest people - they've got serviced apartments in various CBD locations. negotiate hard....

Could try here http://www.stayatbase.com/base-backp...ington-hostel/

never stayed so can't say what it's like but looks like a good option for you.

Or how about a bach (holiday house) ? This is a great website www.holidayhouses.co.nz got some good reasonable options for wellington apartments.

You could go to a hostel, there is no age limit. I'm not sure they are keen on people who "live" there taking up the space however. You can buy hostels cards to give you discounts http://www.hihostels.com/ saved us a fair packet. You have to share with other people (who all only ever eat pasta or noodles as it's cheap!) however. I'm sure if you don't make a huge fuss about having a perm visa they wouldn't mind, its money to them after all. Besides often visitors get temp work to get some cash to help travel.

We actually stayed in a van while in Welly so could not comment on any hostels there. We did however stay at the Base backpacker in CC and it was very good. Base is probly better than a HI hostel for a one off week.

Do I have to be a Hostelling International Member to book hostels on hihostels.com?
    Hostelling International is a membership organisation; members receive many benefits in addition to staying in hi hostels. This one card opens the door to the world’s largest network of safe, clean, welcoming hostels. And you can take advantage of discounted member prices in many places, special savings and discounts. Non-members may stay at hostels if they purchase an international membership on arrival at the hostel (see below), or pay a small supplement.

What age do I have to be to stay in Youth Hostels?
    Youth Hostels are open to everyone. However age limits may apply for children in some places - check with the hostel (see hostel page for contact details). Young people may be given priority when the hostel is nearly full.
    Last edited by JandL; 15th August 2008 at 11:18 PM.

Hi

Try wotif.com or ratestogo.com - you can get some good discounted places on these, but can only book 28 days or less in advance.

I am sure there are plenty of self contained rooms - motel or otherwise you can get for under $750 per week.

Cheers

A couple of options worth looking at are Nomads Backpackers (flashpackers) which is VERY central (near the waterfront and cbd). Their rack rate is approx NZD$600/week though I have seen specials advertised up to 30% lower and include a complimentary evening meal.
    Another option is the Comfort Hotel in Cuba Mall which costs about $650/week.
    The CBD can be noisy at night so I would recommend against booking a room facing the road.

Shawn
    Last edited by eternalkiwi; 16th August 2008 at 12:12 AM.

I look at TravelBug http://www.travelbug.co.nz/accommodation to get ideas.
    I wouldn't necessarily book through them as there are lots of comments on the site about being doublecharged, but it might give you an idea of where to go.

there's some really good links here! Found a couple of places that look very promising through ratestogo, and i'll give quest a call to see how flexible they are on price (i'm assuming september isn't quite the high tourist season yet?)

Someone posted this link the other day: http://www.centurycity.co.nz/inner_city/332TheQuay.html

It says at the bottom that the weekly rate is $650+gst, but I'm sure you could negotiate on that. Personally I'd rather stay in a managed apartment for a week or two, whilst searching for something more permanent, than a hostel but appreciate that you may prefer a cheaper option.

As far as hostels, the YHA received good reviews from a friend of mine who is about your age. Clean, plenty of kitchen space, nice location.

I had recommended Nomads to this same person, since I liked it, but the tiny kitchen, walkthrough lounge, and small free dinner (nachos in the bar next door) put her off. Nomads does have a slightly more central location though, and it seemed quite clean and well-kept to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast