Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Zealand Residency and working in Australia?

Default New Zealand Residency and working in Australia?

I have been unable to find an answer to this question but i am sure that someone will know. If you have New Zealand residency are you also able to work in Australia? I approached company in New Zealand and they said if they had no positions in New Zealand would i be prepared to work in Australia as they have offices there as well. Would having New Zealand residency mean that it would be a straight forward process as Australians can work in New Zeland without a problem. Thanks for the input.

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/17nz.htm

That page says NZ Citizen over and over, I would guess not.

IIRC, the right to work freely in Australia is dependant upon NZ citizenship. You'd have to get a visa or permit I reckon.

As the others have said, not as simple as that I'm afraid (what is?)

you have to be a NZ citizen as far as I know for this to be true, residency does not grant the right - so you would have to have residency for 5 years in NZ and then apply for citizenship (as far as I understand at any rate)

However... surely once you were in NZ on permanent residency and you got offered a job in Australia, you could get a work visa?
    This is only an assumption, I mean thats how plenty of people are getting into NZ by flying over and getting a work visa. Although if you went to Aus there are implications to your PR as you have to live in NZ for a certain amount of time each year to keep it.

Would that not work? Anyone else know?

Is it just me? Why don't you just apply directly to Australia? I'm not sure its right ethically to take up a place in New Zealand which someone else could have and then not bother to work there.

Your NZ visa would expire if you were working in Australia anyway.

Thanks for all the comments. I suspected that was going to be the case. Hence i will have to tell the company that i will not be able to work in Australia for them.

If the company are interested in you, they may consider sponsoring you to gain a work permit for Australia.

Shawn

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by eternalkiwi View Post
    If the company are interested in you, they may consider sponsoring you to gain a work permit for Australia.

Shawn
    As much as i would want more money for working in Australia not prepared to give up New Zealand residency i have worked so hard for me and my family to get.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast