Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you bring from IKEA (UK) before you move?

Question What would you bring from IKEA (UK) before you move?

What would you buy in Ikea before you move to put in your container?

I bought three double wardrobes, and a couple of big bookshelves. There are a couple of other pieces I wish I'd bought. I have found freestanding wardrobes quite hard to find here in NZ, so I'm really glad I bought mine. A lot of people on here will tell you you don't need free-standing wardrobes because so many houses have fitted wardrobes, and while this is true, I haven't regretted buying my wardrobes for a moment, even though our house does have fitted wardrobes -it just doesn't have enough. Ikea stuff sells really well on trademe, so even if you bought things like wardrobes and then found you didn't need them, I think you'd be able to sell them really easily.

My recommendation would be that if there is any furniture you've always wanted, then buy it before you get here, as once you're here you might kick yourself for not buying it when you could. There is lots of great furniture available here in NZ, but it does take time to find out what sort of shops sell the sort of things you like.

I'm going to get an extending wooden toddler bed for our youngest. The older 2 have them, so I'd like to get the same again. I'm also going to buy new mattress' for them, to replace the original foam ones - and because they will more than likely be an 'odd' size to buy in NZ. I'll probably pick up some new duvets and bedding whilst I'm at it. I love the Trofast storage items and Billy bookcases - money will dictate whether I'm tempted to get them or not (just hope willpower doesn't leave me )

Biggest regret about IKEA - the new Southampton store won't be open in time

Lx

Leksvig book shelves to match the 7 I already have. Once they're full I'm stuffed. In fact, now that you mention it, I might pop down to Wednesbury and grab a couple!

Nothing! While we loved IKEA stuff when we were in the UK, we've not missed it at all really. If you look, there are plenty of options here in NZ - after all, 2 million people survive without an IKEA nearby

Neil

after all, 2 million people survive without an IKEA nearby
    Sure, well 3 billion people survive without running water too. On second thoughts, maybe a visit to Ikea might be fatal

Quote Originally Posted by neilw71 View Post
    after all, 2 million people survive without an IKEA nearby

Neil
    OR Marks and Spencers....
    OR Sainsburys and Tescos
    OR B and Q
    OR Mothercare and Early Learning Centre....

And how do we do it?

THE WAREHOUSE!
    lol

I wouldn't get anything from IKEA. Target is similar in price to IKEA furniture and is actually made from proper wood rather than laminated chipboard!

I thought that we would miss IKEA when we came over here but, to be honest, the only thing that I miss about it are the hotdogs and lingenberry drink (oh, and maybe meatballs)!

[QUOTE=Carol;234843]OR Marks and Spencers....
    OR Sainsburys and Tescos
    OR B and Q
    OR Mothercare and Early Learning Centre....

And how do we do it?

THE WAREHOUSE!
    lol

Even oh says he could spend hours in there, it's great

The thing I think I would be most interested in having from IKEA would be cabinet doors to refurbish the look of any cabinets should we buy a house. That and I like the odds and ends. Dishes, flatware and little things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast