Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NZQA - Difference between level 7 and level 8

If you've got a BSc (Hons) and the degree was four years cos the third year was a year in work with assessments, would that give you the level 8 instead of level 7 then?

I don't know! OH has added extra comments about Honours degrees. He said that he would have had to qualify to even do an extra year's study to get an honours degree by averaging over a certain number of marks during his degree. Then he would have had to do the extra year study. He says it's like doing the first year of a masters degree - so it really is a step up. When you get your honours degree if you then decide to do a masters then it will take less time. I guess it depends whether the 4th year of your degree was equivalent to a masters standard? My guess is that it doesn't matter if your UK degree is 3 or 4 years (after all language degrees and some others, like in Scotland I think are usually 4 years) if it was a standard degree (however long) then it'll be level 7. I should think that to get a level 8 you would have to do a separate course at a significantly higher level to a degree. All I know is that a PGCE doesn't push it do a level 8 because it's still at bachelors degree level.

When the NZ side wake up some of them might have a better idea. I think most of us in the normal way of things would be a level 7.

Ach, bum - so doing a 4 year degree plus a PGCE on top of that won't bump the level up. Oh, well, it's not really an issue for me at the mo, as we haven't done OH's reccie trip yet (I'd go tomorrow if I could sell the house!) and we're not at the stage of applying for PR. Thanks for the info tho'.

Quote Originally Posted by napiers View Post
    Don't know about a BEd. I did my BA hons and then did a PGCE and I'm still Level 7 overall - as the others teachers who replied to my thread when I asked (and they'd done various routes to teaching.) I think that Honours is an extra qualification in NZ. So if we'd done the same degrees etc in the 'NZ' way we would have no Honours on our degree. From what OH is telling me we would have had to do an additional year. It seems like Honours degrees are just what we do and they don't. I would imagine that for teaching a BEd would still be level 7 because it's the standard length course (even though you can do the 'fast track' in 3 yrs now!!) Would be interested in what yours says though because if it's higher than level 7 then I might have something to say to NZQA!!!
    Not worth all that extra effort and student debt then!!!!

Talking level 7 for B Ed (Hons) UK

Quote Originally Posted by thewoodies View Post
    I am waiting on my assesment i did a 4 year degree B ED (Hons) wonder if it will make a difference - if i ever get to hear from them - i will let you know - its been 3 months!!!
    I got level 7 for my degree

It seems then that our Honours system doesn't count for much with NZQA then. When I looked at their initial assessment points, a 'normal' degree got a level 7 and an honours got a level 8. There seems to be quite a few of us have only been awarded a level 7 then. It seems odd. However, as NZIS confirmed, it doesn't matter at all.

Quote Originally Posted by icemaiden View Post
    ...However, as NZIS confirmed, it doesn't matter at all.
    At first I was worried because South African honours (4 year) degrees also were being assessed as level 7. However, since you get the same number of point it really makes no difference.

I got Level 7 for a BSc (Hons), it didn't surprise me because somewhere on their site it says that UK Bachelors Degrees with Honours are assessed as being Level 7.

Hi, My experience with the NZQA lasted several months. I paid for fast service and did all the donkey work for them. Honours Degree in Engineering in 1976, no transcripts but eventually sourced a list of modules. Additionally I am a Chartered Engineer and should have got Level 8 but only got Level 7 because honours courses in NZ are 4 years duration and mine was only 3 years. Naturally we worked harder! Julian

Hi guys...just wanted to bump this up rather than posting a new thread. I was not aware that most undergrad degrees in New Zealand were three years rather than 4 years...since the equivalent in America is almost always four years. (We don't really have an equivalent to the Hons degree, although you can graduate with honours, i.e. summa cum laude, magna cum laude, etc.) Does this extra year mean that my Bachelor of Arts would be assessed as a level 8 rather than a level 7? And would it make any difference either way? We're currently stuck at 100 points so any extra little bonus would be a huge help...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast