Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feliway?

Question Feliway?

Hi
    Has anybody out there used Feliway ( http://www.feliway.uk.com/feliway_uk.nsf/Page?OpenForm )to calm their cats for the flight? Our cats' vet has said we should spray it in the crates before they go as it should help calm them. The problem is that we are having to put them in a cattery when we go as we only had their first rabies antibody tests done in June and so they cannot fly until December.
    I am sitting here putting together a list of everything I can think of for the owner of the cattery and I am not sure if I should go ahead and ask her to spray the crates for me.

Is the use of Feliway something MAF might object to? I know from when they flew here from the UK that they are not allowed to be sedated but if this will calm then I would love to be able to give it to them as they have a long flight to quarantine (Helsinki ->Copenhagen -> Beijing -> Auckland).

Any feedback much appreciated...

I've never heard of feliway but I did want to offer my opinion.
    I was a pet groomer for years and I specialized in kitties. I am against sedation in cats for a few reasons based on my experiences.
    For one, I think most sedatives act more to distress the cat as they can't trust what they are perceiving. (I joke that cats are naturally suspicious, even of themselves) The result is a "bad trip", a bit of a waking nightmare.
    For two, the cat can no longer regulate body temperature, which I think would be especially important during such a long flight.
    Third, I've been injured by more sedated cats than not!
    Again I am not familiar with feliway so it could be 100% different than the sedatives I've had experience with. Maybe you could ask your vet if any of the above side effects exist with feliway.
    I think cats find their own "happy place" when the stress is high and they can't use their fight or flight instincts. You may have seen it if you have ever successfully bathed a cat and they've realized the bath is happening whether they like it or not. They just turn into staring zombie cats for a while and snap out of it when enough normalcy has returned. I think they can make it w/o sedation, even if their sad little faces are enough to break your heart
    I'm no vet, just someone with an opinion

Hi there,

I also vote against sedatives because I have read in a few sources that because the cargo area is pressurized, oxygen is a bit lower down there, sedating an animal may be harmful. So I guess the things you can do get the kitty used to being in its cage and when it is time to go, put its favorite things in the crate (i.e. blanket, toy, treats, etc.)

I moved cross-country a few years ago and had to put my kitty in a cage (he was a kitten who could not sit still). He whined and cried for an hour or so and once he figured out he is not going to get out anytime soon and figured out he was safe, he curled up and went to sleep. He was perfectly fine and did not seem traumatized by being in a cage for 3 days. Not 3 days straight of course but the trip took 3 days. LOL

Good luck with everything.

Hi Ana&Steve and Kellbell

Thank you both for your posts! I agree 100% that they should not be sedated while travelling and I hadn't asked the vet about anything like that. It was when I took them for their booster shots and the vet and I were discussing their travel arrangements, she suggested this Feliway spray as it is not something they ingest, more something they smell. I think I am just going to forget the vet mentioning it and let them deal with their flights in their own ways. They have seperate crates but will at least be able to hear each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Ana&Steve View Post
    You may have seen it if you have ever successfully bathed a cat and they've realized the bath is happening whether they like it or not.
    I have never been brave enough to try and bath a cat - I take my hat off to you

Hi Hope,

I moved my kitty from the US to UK. She is usually a very nervous kitty and doesn't like strangers or strange places. I was worried sick the whole time, but she did perfectly fine. When I picked her up at the airport, she was just sleeping in her box, and greeted with a little meow when she saw me. She looked very very pathetic, but she was fine. I didn't sedate her which is not allowed any way. I did put one of her blankets in the box, so that probably helped with the smell thing a bit.

One thing though, definitely get a litter box ready before your kitty arrives.. my cat did the longest pee ever in history after she got home.

Good luck with your move.
    -Una

It's funny,

I think we, humans, worry more than the pet does.

It is amazing how fast a pet adapts in a situation. I am sure once the crate has familiar things in it, your kitty will be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Hope View Post
    I have never been brave enough to try and bath a cat - I take my hat off to you

I am going to ask about that product now because I'm curious as, well, a cat!

Feliaway isn't a medication or sedative. It mimics the hormone/pheromone secreted by kitties facial glands (which is supposed to be very calming for tightly wound or stressed cats).

There is also a spray that you could ask whoever is loading up your cats for flight to spray on their bedding or on the inside walls of the carrier. As far as a cattery or quarentine facility goes, you could ask them to keep the plug-in version on the wall in your cat's quarters.

Call MAF directly to ask about restrictions (the number is on their website) - I was surprised when I called with a question a few weeks ago about microchips when they ANSWERED the phone, in person, without a frustrating menu of recorded options!

Quote Originally Posted by migratory birds View Post
    Call MAF directly to ask about restrictions (the number is on their website) - I was surprised when I called with a question a few weeks ago about microchips when they ANSWERED the phone, in person, without a frustrating menu of recorded options!
    Thanks! I will go ahead and contact MAF and find out (will let you know Ana&Steve) about restrictions.

The spray is what the vet has recommended. She said I should spray their blankets just before they get put into the crate to go.

You can get Feliway over here, so I wouldn't have thought there would be any restrictions on it being sprayed on your cat's crate. Still best to check with MAF though...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast