Thread: New Zealand Resume

Default New Zealand Resume

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can see what a New Zealand resume looks like? I heard they are different than a US resume. If I'm wrong sorry for wasting time hehe

Thanks everyone,
    Michael

There is a great small 87pp book titled "Writing Successful New Zealand Style CV's" by Doug Pitcher, published by Greene Phoenix Marketing, Palmerston North, tel +64 4 3551298 ISBN 0-473-05480-9.
    About 10 years old now, hopefully the publisher still exists.
    Good luck in finding a copy. I'd send you the one I'm holding, except it belongs to Porirua Public Library.

Quote Originally Posted by mmcguire2020 View Post
    Hi,

Does anyone know where I can see what a New Zealand resume looks like? I heard they are different than a US resume. If I'm wrong sorry for wasting time hehe

Thanks everyone,
    Michael
    Well first thing is that they are called Curriculum Vitae (CV) and not resume

Might be worth starting at Creating your Application as they give you details and there is also a sample.

Ian

So far no one has been that picky about what we wrote when trying our hand at NZ style resume. It may just be because my OH is in IT or we may have gotten it right. Not sure.

What we did find was that the order was different from a US resume.
    The order we used was:
    Career objective, experience, education/training, personal interests, immigration status, references. Oh and no picture. I gather that isn't common in NZ though it is in other countries.
    We kind of blended the work experience with the education because my OH has potentially relevant work experience prior to his education. Otherwise people get confused and upset at the 4 year gap in work history. We did this by highlighting things done during the education while listing the dates of the education if that makes sense. After the career objective and before the experience we also put a skill summary (for programming languages and how experienced he was with them).
    I say we a lot as I wrote quite a bit of the CV. I'm kind of good at that sort of thing.
    We went into at least a few sentences (generally not more than 3) about each previous job and the skills used in that job.

I hope that helps a bit.

Hi,
    I have always used my UK CV and never had any problems. got my current job with it. I have also written a cv's for other people in NZ and always do them UK style. as long as all the information is on them don't worry about it.

I did get a copy of the book Ourquest suggested as part of a course i was doing if i can find it and you want it send me a PM

Nicola

I have some links somewhere but I can't find them right now
    A few tips though: Here it's a mistake to make a resume too long, there it's a mistake to make a CV too short! You have to stretch your 1-2 pager to 4+ pages They want to hear in detail your daily responsibilities and experience. A good cover letter specific to the job is also expected. Steve wrote a "generic" one and changed it for different jobs and for recruiters.

here are a couple links I googled, if I find the links we used I'll send them to you.
    http://www.waikato.ac.nz/sasd/careers/articles/cv.shtml
    http://www.nzs.com/new-zealand-artic...v-writing.html

Thanks everyone

focus strongly on the skills- there is a whole section for skills- not on the jobs. Basically what do you know how to do? What are the transferable skills that you have?

When listing jobs, focus on the title you had, not the employer (no one will have heard of the employer here so it means nothing to them) and the duties. Ok to have a section for your hobbies. Ok to have a photo.

I read that they want a 2 page CV?

I'm using my Irish CV and adapting to suit specific roles i apply for.

I haven't had any complaints yet..but i'm worried now that i'm going about it all wrong

do anyone of u have knowledge of a good site from where i can have my cv made professionally for newzealand job hunt.