Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blood Test Abnormalities - your opinion?

Question Blood Test Abnormalities - your opinion?

Hey guys,

My situation is that I have a signed job contract, as a structural engineer (which is in one of the shortage lists), here in Wellington. As soon as my police certificate comes in, I will be submitting for a work permit under the talent (accredited employer) work permit scheme, which I'm told is the fastest and easiest option for someone in my position - should take 5-10 business days.

I just got my blood tests back to complete my immigration medical form. I have a clean bill of health: blood pressure is normal, BMI is in normal range, I don't smoke, or drink heavily, no diseases or family history of diseases or conditions, urinalysis and x-ray are fine, vision ok, etc. The doctor hasn't noted anything outside the standard checkboxes on the forms, except for a few abnormalities in my blood count and liver function tests.

I have 5 minor abnormalities:

MCV at 79.2 (80-98 normal)
    MCH at 26.2 (27-33 normal)
    Eosinophils at 0.6 (0.0-0.5 normal)
    ALT at 44 (0-40 normal)
    AST at 38 (0-35 normal)

As you can see, all the abnormal results are just barely out of the normal range. I spoke with my doctor, and he told me that for each of these results, there's no explanation and that often people have results like these and it really means nothing. Not indicative of any condition or problem. He noted in the summary comments, "Minor abnormalities noted on full blood count and liver function tests, no obvious reason apparent clinically," and he checked the box in the Recommendation section "Significant or abnormal findings," and wrote "minor" next to it. He also told me that it depends on who reviews the form as to if they send me to a medical assessor or not.

Has anyone here had a similar experience? On the one hand, I'm in the country and have a signed job contract with an accredited employer in a shortage field, so I'd think they'd be motivated to push me through. On the other hand, I know this is immigration, and I've read plenty of horror stories on this site. Help!

I entirely understand if any of you would be hesitant about posting any medical advice on an open forum, so if you'd like to PM me about it, I would appreciate that too! I would also appreciate anyone's experience who has been on my end of a similar issue, who have no medical advice to give me. Thanks!

:: nate ::

Hey nate,

I don't think anyone outside of immigration would be able to tell you exactly what the procedure is - they may pass on anything that has the check box ticked, they may apply common sense, it's impossible to say - but given the results were not far out of range I can't imagine a MA making too much of a fuss about them even if they do go for assessment.
    well fingers crossed anyway

Hi nate

I too have some LFT results slightly outside the range although inside what the UK ranges are.

I have a letter from my consultant ruling out any liver problems so hopefully that will get me through.

I suppose one thought might be to have a letter from your GP stating your (I presume) good health just in case they come back for more assurance.

I would be interested in knowing how it goes (quite selfishly as we are on the verge of doing our medicals too!!)

Cheers

tyhapus

Hi

I had similar just out the the "normal" range LFT results my panel doctor put in his report that this was "of no medical significance", however, this was still rejected by the MA. Have now been asked for a liver scan and report from a liver consultant. The quote from the MA was "Abnormail LFT's. These are not acceptable without further asessment including a diagnosis, treatment and prognosis report. THerefore a liver speicalist report should be obtained" As i suspected this would be the case i had already arranged a liver scan through my private health care and a further blood test (now only ALT 2 points out side the "normal" range all others ok) Now just waiting for the consultants report so i can send it onto my CO. My NZ employers have been very understanding and currently the dealy does not cause any issues as my job does not start until end of Jan 09.

If you have tighter deadlines my advice would be to get a liver consultants report ASAP and submitt to your CO.

AND for thouse not yet ready to do the medicals don't go on a weeked binge before taking the blood tests!!!!(like i did). Weight loss (if you are over weight), not drinking and milk thistle are all supposed to have benifical effect on liver function. I have had three blood tests - 4 days after my week end away, two weeks and four weeks. Each test has shown a significant improvement. If i had been sensible i could have saved my self a lot of time, money and stress!!.

Regards

J

Hi, I had my medicals done and the blood test came back with low iron... so i failed!!The medical clinic rang me straightaway and told me to book an appointment with my doctor .Saw him and he said i need another bloodtest for him to analyse it and said i need to take iron tablets ! He wrote a letter about the treatment and said he was confident the tablets will sort me out !! That letter cost me £20 and i send it back to the medical centre and it was all fine !! They also questioned my daughters bloodtest ,it had abnormalities, that was just due to a hayfever allergy, which we explained and that was ok too !! So if you are a vegetarian like me, eat some spinach !!!!

After researching on my own, since my doctor was no help in explaining what the results mean, it looks to me like I can positively affect the blood-level discrepancies by taking iron supplements. Can anyone confirm this? Would taking milk thistle help my ALT and AST numbers?

Thanks for your help guys! PM me if you'd rather not give advice on an open forum.

There are a lot of folk who have mentioned that milk thistle is good for the liver and therefore the LFT readings, and some people swear by it.
    Have you had just 1 test? Maybe you could just do a repeat test - quite often the results will be WAY better next time round as things such as even a common cold could affect the readings.
    If you are refferred to the MA then they may ask you to do a repeat test anyway so it'd probably save time in the long run.

Good luck!

Claire

Hello
    I'm so fed up with medical tests. My OH has an irregular blood count, just below normal and has a lifestyle very like "Nate". Our doctor says much the same as "Nate" "As you can see, all the abnormal results are just barely out of the normal range. I spoke with my doctor, and he told me that for each of these results, there's no explanation and that often people have results like these and it really means nothing. Not indicative of any condition or problem."

The medical assessor has asked for various tests which have all come back normal. Immigration have now asked for a report from a consultant haematologist. This is the third round of tests that OH has to undertake. The medical assessor we are using in the UK can't understand why OH is having to undergo further test. Each time we have a test done it takes 6 weeks before the medical assessor comes back with his comments. It is very frustrating.
    Does anyone have the name of a haematologist in the London area who they have used?
    Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by asterix View Post
    Hello
    I'm so fed up with medical tests. My OH has an irregular blood count, just below normal and has a lifestyle very like "Nate". Our doctor says much the same as "Nate" "As you can see, all the abnormal results are just barely out of the normal range. I spoke with my doctor, and he told me that for each of these results, there's no explanation and that often people have results like these and it really means nothing. Not indicative of any condition or problem."

The medical assessor has asked for various tests which have all come back normal. Immigration have now asked for a report from a consultant haematologist. This is the third round of tests that OH has to undertake. The medical assessor we are using in the UK can't understand why OH is having to undergo further test. Each time we have a test done it takes 6 weeks before the medical assessor comes back with his comments. It is very frustrating.
    Does anyone have the name of a haematologist in the London area who they have used?
    Many thanks
    Hi Asterix

What additional tests has your OH had? So far i have had 3 blood tests (results improving on each one), Hep C test, and a liver ultra sound. All these have just been sent off to the MA with a covering letter saying there is nothing wrong and no treatment is required. Hope they don't ask me for any additional test or reports.

Regards

J

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast