Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dimmable energy-saving bulbs...

Lightbulb Dimmable energy-saving bulbs...

A friend has finally managed to find dimmable energy-saving bulbs... but... they are $22 EACH!

Has anyone bought them cheaper in NZ? Not sure spending almost $50 is THAT cost-effective for lights we rarely use... Or, do dimmables (non-energy) cost more to run anyway?

They had some at the Palmy Bunnings today, but I didn't catch the price.

That's so weird you posting this. We have today just changed our light fittings & gone from 5 bulbs to 3 bulbs on 2 of our light fittings. I was only saying 5 minutes ago to the OH "I wonder if you can get dimmer energy saver light bulbs yet" & there you are posting this.
    So we have 9 light bulbs now instaed of 13 but at $22 each wow This will be intersting to see if anyone has found cheaper ones, I'll be looking over the next few weeks so will let you know what I find. I'm hoping just going down by 2 bulbs will help a little

Quote Originally Posted by Moorf View Post
    A friend has finally managed to find dimmable energy-saving bulbs... but... they are $22 EACH!

I don't know if any difference on bills yet as our lounge lights are the light we used lots, so hopefully they help to reduce the electricity bills further
    Downside about these dimmable lights is if you turn too low, then the light will cut off complete but they do work

Has anyone bought them cheaper in NZ? Not sure spending almost $50 is THAT cost-effective for lights we rarely use... Or, do dimmables (non-energy) cost more to run anyway?
    I do not beleive that dimmable energy savers will save enough power to be cost effective in comparison to normal energy savers. Or "compact fluorescent" as we call them in the trade. The sums are as follows:-

Conventional 100W lamp. 434mA

Conventional 100W lamp, @50%. 217mA

Energy saver lamp, 18W. 78mA

Energy saver lamp at 50% of 18W, 9W. 39ma

So you are chasing minimal returns for massive expenditure.

But if you really want to spend money to little effect, try replacing the low voltage dichroic lamps with the LED version. $2 to $50 is the price hike! But that's nearly down to $22, so......

AND, then there are the harmonics induced in the electricity network by dimmers. Network cost will need to go up.

But don't worry about saving power, the electricity supply industry in NZ has found a way to limit power consumption. It's called the Cook Strait Cables, aka, the DC link. It's falling over due to slips in the rain we've had. Ironic isn't it, the South of the South that needs rain to keep the hydro lakes up doesn't get any, while the North of the South gets too much and the pylons threaten to fall over!

We got our energy saving bulbs here. They worked out cheaper than in shops and if you buy 4 or more postage is free

http://www.omicron.co.nz/webapps/sit..._groupid=10926

Eeeeww CFL lamps Yuk, I'll stick to incandescent lamps if its ok
    And have to second Petes professional calculations above.

Cool - in that case we won't bother with the dimmables... this forum answers just about every question!! So, about this boil.....

Cool - in that case we won't bother with the dimmables... this forum answers just about every question!! So, about this boil.....
    You asked

http://dermnetnz.org/bacterial/boils.html

LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast