Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm getting a little worried...

Default I'm getting a little worried...

it's not just the stress and HUGE list of things to do (as we fly out five weeks today ).....

but worried about job market.

Have been sending off OHs CV to companies in both Hamilton and Tauranga (anything remotely related to his 25yrs+ joiner/builder experience)

Have had some nice replies, folks saying no jobs but come and have a chat with us when you arrive (which is good) however a lot of them have mentioned how quiet industry is and in middle of recession right now.

We are going out as tourists and relying on him getting a job offer to have enough points to apply for PR (or even just get a temp work visa)

We're taking our family of five half way round the world, all our worldly goods will be packed and stored at the shippers awaiting our call and our house equity cash fund will be eaten into each week there's no job - what am I doing???

I'm trying to be upbeat in front of family - including OH who would have serious doubts if I didn't keep reassuring him. When we were out there last April he got offered LOADS of work. Has the credit crunch really affected the building trade and job market that much?should I be worried?

Hi Vicki

I understand your fears and maybe they feel much worse at the moment as you are miles away and not able to do much about it. I have heard alot of employers don't like employing people until they are here. There are alot of houses being built in Cambridge and more due to be started soon, particularly on Leamington side. I think you may have a touch of the cobbywobbles as you are nearing "lift off". Even if jobs were all in place you would probably find something else to worry about. Does that help???

I'm not in NZ till 15th Sept () so don't know how much truth there is in this, but at a Work Expo OH and I went to we were told that a very large number of jobs are never advertised. If you turn up looking for work and are a great asset due to your experience then employers will do what they can to ensure they don't lose you. We've also been told countless times that once you are in NZ everything is so much easier.

Very best of luck to you all

Lx

Thanks

I do understand the "being on the ground" thing and we weren't expecting a job offer whilst we are still in UK - but what IS worrying is the number of companies saying "things are quiet here" or "we are in the middle of a recession" - this is what I could do with local folks opinions on

The house building is always a good sign
    (and yes part of this is a bit cobbly wobblies - or wobbly cobblies!!)
    getting 1001 qstns from friends & family here doesn't help either!

The housing market in our part of the UK is down, too, and yet a friend of ours who is a builder/handyman is up to his eyes in work. He says people who would have moved but find they can't are launching into doing things to the house they're currently in - extensions, loft conversions, extra garages, etc.. The same goes for landlords of rental properties.

All the best.

Don't you worry! (easier said i know) Everything happens for a reason and you are able to get there for a reason!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    The housing market in our part of the UK is down, too, and yet a friend of ours who is a builder/handyman is up to his eyes in work. He says people who would have moved but find they can't are launching into doing things to the house they're currently in - extensions, loft conversions, extra garages, etc.. The same goes for landlords of rental properties.

All the best.
    Yes three friends of mine havnt sold their houses - so they are extending / converting the loft and building an out building.

What do you do - could you get the job to keep the family afloat until he gets something.

Can I suggest he considers the commercial and infrastructure markets for a while. Fletcher Building would be a good option: http://www.fb.co.nz/careers/index.aspx

I know they still have a good order book in the Tauranga area, so worth an email

Cheers
    Neil

Vicki, I'll have a dig round and ask my mate (he an architect so he will give the low down)

People are saying the economy is already improving here, but having a word with a builder later for you to ask him for you.

I assume you really liked Hamilton or Tauranga when you visited and this is why you want to settle there? Another approach if the job market isn't great is to widen your job search. In our case we had decided against the Wellington region but fate (and a job) brought us here and in hindsight there was no reason for us not to have included it as an option in the beginning. It is a great part of the world and we're now pleased to be here, even compared to our first choices.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast