Thread: Redundancy Entitlement

Question Redundancy Entitlement

How many of you have it written into your contract that you are entitled to redundancy payment?

(please say what kind of work you do, in case some areas are more likely to have it than others)

We've been told this isn't standard in NZ, apart from maybe the larger businesses.

Cheers

Tia

Me - but I work for Fairfax which falls under the larger business category

I was working for Fonterra when I was made redundant. Biggest employer in NZ, and I was one of about 600 all made redundant at the same time under a company restructuring. I was also one of the only ones to get a redundancy payout, as I had a clause in my contract of employment that gave me a 33% payout and two months notice, plus they paid for me to have my cv done professionally and could take as much time off as I liked to attend interviews etc. I'd actually only been working there for 6 months when they announced the redundancies would be taking place, but it took them another 3 to let us know who would actually be let go.
    Despite the generous payout, I think I was treated incredibly shabbily by them, and I was almost deported from NZ as a consequence of losing my job, as I was still on a work permit at the time.
    I am a contractor now, so have no redundancy payment clause, but do make sure I have a decent notice clause if they want to get rid of me before the end of the contracted period. (Not happened yet though thankfully!)

I've just signed my work contract, tonight in fact, and it has a redundancy payment clause. I'll be working for a Govt dept.

OH (IT bod) has redundancy payment clause and it is more generous than the one he would have got with old job in UK.

yes for both of us - I work for a small organization (currently 5 staff), OH works for a large company.

There is a redundancy clause in my contract, which is also much better than the one I would have got when working in the UK.

I work for a big organisation, in online sales.

Just checked - didn't think there was but there is; 4 months salary (lump sum) in addition to the months' notice period. This is for a Ministry