Thread: Tennis in NZ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Tennis in NZ?

Hi everyone!

My boyfriend and I are huge tennis players, and we are moving to NZ next month. We wanted to know how tennis works over there. We will stay in Auckland for a month and then we plan to move to Queenstown.

Are there an abundant amount of free courts available in these areas?

For pay courts, how much is it? And are there plenty of courts in general (indoor or outdoor)?

There are tennis courts/clubs etc all over North Shore, and quite a few parents at my daughters school seem to be members of tennis clubs so I get the impression that it can't be that expensive. There is a big tennis park place off Oteha Valley Rd with loads of indoor and outdoor courts available for hire.

Familyofmonkeys....Thanks and I will look into that.

i am a member of a club in kohimarama but you can pay at the scarbro tennis centre in glen innes - look at www.aucklandtennis.co.nz - you should find all the info you need there
    WTD

Hi

I am sure there are free tennis courts in the queenstown gardens for you to use. Also the local high school should have some outdoor courts as well that you can usually utilise outside of school hours.

Cheers

There's certainly plenty of tennis courts around, just from passing I'd bet that small places like Whitford, Clevedon and Hunua have probably got better outdoor tennis courts than the whole of south yorkshire!

One thing I can tell u before u move. Buy some balls or equipments (shoes, clothes, and etc) from US and ship it or bring it over here. prices of tennis equipments in NZ is generally nutcase expensive.
    I used to live in US, so I found the price jump from there to here quite drastically.

I know for sure there are some free tennis courts available in Auckland area. One in mount Eden, very close to auckland cbd. But it's a hard court with an asphalt (the one that can use up your tennis shoes' sole). It's an outdoor.

Outdoor courts is quite common here in Auckland, even though the weather is not good...but for some reasons, Auckland is not having enough indoor court. I guess it's against the GREEN thing.
    As for prices, I think indoor is $26/hr for members of the club and $16/hr for outdoor.
    (I have to double check again).
    Last edited by xanctus; 3rd September 2008 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xanctus View Post
    One thing I can tell u before u move. Buy some balls or equipments (shoes, clothes, and etc) from US and ship it or bring it over here. prices of tennis equipments in NZ is generally nutcase expensive.
    I used to live in US, so I found the price jump from there to here quite drastically.

I know for sure there are some free tennis courts available in Auckland area. One in mount Eden, very close to auckland cbd. But it's a hard court with an asphalt (the one that can use up your tennis shoes' sole). It's an outdoor.

Outdoor courts is quite common here in Auckland, even though the weather is not good...but for some reasons, Auckland is not having enough indoor court. I guess it's against the GREEN thing.
    As for prices, I think indoor is $26/hr for members of the club and $16/hr for outdoor.
    (I have to double check again).
    Thanks for all this info! I wasn't planning on bring that much equipment, just shoes and bags, but now that you mentioned it, I guess that will be a wise investment. I do know how bad hard courts wear your shoes...that's pretty much all we have here in the US...I'm going to stock up on those shoes!