Thread: Level 7 Early Childhood Pre primary School Teacher NVQ Equivalent?

Default Level 7 Early Childhood Pre primary School Teacher NVQ Equivalent?

Hi All,

Do any of you kind people know what a level 7 for the New Zealand Teachers Council equates to in UK terms i.e. is there an NVQ level equivalent for a Pre School Teacher (0-5 year olds)?

Many thanks

Steve & Julie

Hi

I have to say I don't think there is a UK equivalent, but I will watch this thread with interest!

I am just about to start the Early Years Professional Status course, which gives a qualification equivalent to QTS, but does not make me a teacher. I am going to get this assessed by NZQA when I finish and keep my fingers crossed. I am thinking of applying for the PGCE in Foundation stage next..

In the past I have contacted NZ teachers training and they said I might be able to do a years top up course once I am there.

Hope you get some more useful answers soon.

Helen

I think we pretty much know there is no UK equivalent to NZ Early years teacher qualification, just wishful thinking something has changed!!

Anyone got any extra info on this, or do we need to move to NZ and get re-educated!

Helen

Unfortunately I don't know the equivalent in the Uk, but with oz I have to finish my qualification, then get it assessed by NZQA, then probably do an extra year or so over there.

There is no equivalent qualification in OZ, it's unique to NZ.

I hope this helps a little bit.

Mish

Thanks Helen & Mish

The mist is clearing but still confused, the job is on LTSSL, Julie does this work in the UK and has done for the last 4 years or more but only has an NVQ level 2.

Does it make sense applying to NZQA to get her qualification assessed ($450 ouch!) knowing there isn't a UK equivalent for NZ qualification?

If no valid qualification does that remove any points for current work experience.

Thanks Steve & Julie

Hi Steveo,
    I had an NVQ level 3 in Early Years Care and Education pre-assessed a couple of years ago and that came back from NZQA as a level 5. Hope this helps.
    Ann

It can be very confusing!

Very helpful, not the answer we wanted but saved $450 and a load of time with NZQA.

This leads to next question and please advise if I should post elsewhere; do we get any points for Julie's work experience given she won't have a recognised qualification for a Pre School Teacher.

Thanks again for everybodies help!

Steve & Julie

To be honest I don't think so.

I am sure someone who knows for sure will answer shortly for you.

Good luck

Helen

I'm sorry I can't help you with that answer, but I still have to get my diploma assessed fully, so the polytechnic or college can see how much I need to do to become New Zealand qualified.

Good luck anyway..

Mish