Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: $150,000 houses

Fantastic... thanks so much, great help - spookily we were just looking thru the classifieds in local paper!!

Moorf

Pleased to be able to help - let me know what Supershed is like if you go - we may need a few things while waiting for our container!

Tanya

Super shed has an extensive selection of rubbish, some of which is useful rubbish, and the same smell as a particularly bad jumble sale. All in all it looks like a particularly enterprising council worker has been taking all the useful stuff from the tip there.

on Dehumidifiers.... when we came through a couple of years ago we kept wondering why all the NZers had these in their houses....now we have spent a winter here we know. No insulation, no double glazing =loads of condensation. also a lot of people use calor gas fires and I think they cause condensation.

Super shed has an extensive selection of rubbish, some of which is useful rubbish, and the same smell as a particularly bad jumble sale. All in all it looks like a particularly enterprising council worker has been taking all the useful stuff from the tip there.
    Oh my, and with my huge hate of smells (it's the big nose!) I'm not sure I'll get thru the front door - but Woz said it's worth visiting just for a laugh!!

Moorf

You said you were looking at areas outside of the city to commute, is Sumner one of these areas, or were you looking further afield as well.

What towns outside CHCh are commutable?

You dilema is intersting, on how long you rent before buying. Isn't there some thing about if you don't buy a house within your first year, it can affect your citizenship application?

Have a good day.

Bye

Jo

"Isn't there some thing about if you don't buy a house within your first year, it can affect your citizenship application? "

I would be very surprised it that was the case.

Hi Jo

Yes, we are looking at the Harbourside area with the exception of Lyttleton - i.e. Governors Bay/Cass Bay/Church Bay/Diamond Harbour.

But thats because we prefer rural and the hills to the plains so these are really the only areas we are looking at as the rest of the Christchurch is quite flat or built up... there are hilly areas in Chch such as Cashmere/Redcliffs/Mount Pleasant/Sumner/Scarborough/Taylors Mistake but these are less rural and more "suburb"but with great views.

I've given Lyttleton a few chances to see if there was something I could like about it but it is AWFUL. It' just rough and dark houses, damp and a bloomin' great working port in every view... nah, not nice.. and the drunk Russian sailors don't add to the ambience either :?

The areas above that I have mentioned are all south of the city. You also have places like Rangiora and Kaipoi north of the city but I am not familiar with those places - perhaps those that live there could give you a run down on the area?

With regards to how long to rent - I doubt very much this would affect citizenship but it's worth checking out. We will probably rent until end Q1 of 2005 - we have seen house prices fall in the last 3 months (one house were looking at has gone from offers in the region of $370,000-$400,000 to $370,000 set price and now it's down to offers over $335,000 and it's been on the market for 3 months along with several other properties we viewed back in Sept!)

Hope that helps...

Moorf

I've given Lyttleton a few chances to see if there was something I could like about it but it is AWFUL. It' just rough and dark houses, damp and a bloomin' great working port in every view... nah, not nice.. and the drunk Russian sailors don't add to the ambience either
    The awful view from our damp dark house.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v429/devjt0/v600.jpg

I've given Governor’s Bay a few chances to see if there was something I could like about it but it is AWFUL. It’s bland and full of self-styled “executive homes” and reeks of boring dinner parties. And Diamond Harbour has all the allure of a South Coast retirement community – you just know there’s a local bridge league. And the lady bowlers...

Well its a good job we don't all want to live in the same areas isn't it. Think what all the GB £ moving into one area would do to the prices.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast