Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: $150,000 houses

Default $150,000 houses

hi, been looking at houses on real estate wb sites and notice there are quite a few around the $150,000 mark.
    does anyone have any first hand experience on these houses - are there a frezzing cood wreck!!
    don't mind putting a bit of work in to get it up to scratch, as long as its in good ares and decent size then whats the problems ???

Are you talking about 150k in auckland, CHCh or where ?

Side note.... I have wondered, if David Bowe was influenced by CHCH when he wrote the song CHANGES.

" CH..CH.CH...CHanges, (turn and face the strain)
    Dont want to be a richer man
    Ch Ch Ch Changes(turn and face the strain)
    Ch Ch changes
    Just gonna Have to be a different man
    Time may change me
    but I cant trace time.

looking around new plymouth,cantenbury,nelson regions

There is plenty of cheap stuff out there. I think that is what gets the ball rolling for a large percent of us dreamers here.

Keep looking and do your home work if you are just starting to look at n.z, you need to read up on there leaky home syndrom.

I bought a book on amazon on how to become your own home inspector, my wife considers me quite handy as it is.

I figure if I can learn to spot items that are easily overlooked, it will help minimize any headaches down the road.

I also picked up a few books on mold and mold remediation. High moisture+ bad roofs = mold, mold and more mold.

Not all is bad there, as they say and ounce of prevention....

Justin

Quoting the lyrics of a Bowie song and actually confessing to owning books on mould prevention ...... I'm building up quite a mental picture of you

Joking apart - good on you for looking into the house buying thing in such detail. It's very easy to let your heart rule your head. Arriving in NZ and being VERY eager to get into your own place could easily blinker your judgement ....... I know I would be in great danger of that happening. I'm a 'see it now - want it now' kind of person. Hell - that makes me sound like a bratt - but you know what I mean.

Diny

Quote Originally Posted by Diny
    Justin

Quoting the lyrics of a Bowie song and actually confessing to owning books on mould prevention ...... I'm building up quite a mental picture of you Diny
    LOL, this from a woman who admits she knows how to gut Italian sardines...

I love you all!! - Rae

Good one Raeven..................
    I had her looking for the reserve tank on a Harley Davidson once!

but back to the question, my parents live in Marton, in quite a big well built (91sqm) 4 br house, on a 790sqm section, and its worth a lot less than a 150 grand (albeit Marton doesn't offer much in the way of anything, just a small agricultural service town full of retirees)
    IMHO if you know what to look out for, and depending on the area you're looking in, then you should get quite a decent family home for $150,000.
    Let us know how you get on though.........

Well thankyou for sharing that with everybody PB.

So I'm a Harley riding, sardine gutting girl who can play the spoons and make the best 'chicken' sounds this side of the hen house - that's why PB loves me so much.

I've found the house I want In Ashhurst - I just hope this one sells and we get there in time ..... 5 bedrooms, garage, workshop, large section (garden) and a pool ........ all for 190,000 NZ$ - enough to make you weep eh?

PB - if you're reading this - ask for a pay rise - there's alot of rooms to furnish in that house !!!! xxxx

Diny

Diny

I'm like you, saw a house yesterday and wanted in NOW NOW but sense prevailed.

Lucky you finding a house so cheaply, wouldn't get a garage in Auckland for that.

We are not in a position to move out of this area at the moment but having said that we do love it here, loving it loving it loving it.......... is that a song title ????? or is the jet lag still causing me problems?

Michelle

I don't want to burst anyones bubbles here but... Chch ain't cheap.. at least not if you want to live in a semi-decent area! Obviously that is just my opinion based on my expectations...

BUT, venture out a little and you can realise your dreams - to be honest I don't think I want to live in this city or its 'burbs anyway and we shall be looking outside - we are prepared to do a 45 min commute or so - longer if the right property comes along.

Having said that we may not buy for another year - having spoken to a few people the general feeling is that buying now would be buying in at the peak and that it will level out and the exchange rate may even be better in a years time.... but then we do hate the thought of renting and lining someone elses pocket.. decisions, decisions...

Right now we are having major probs finding a furnished place for 6 mnths rent in a decent area... we are really sold on Sumner, it's our sort of place, but rentals are rare and I am really not keen on the other suburbs.. not that I am snooty or anything it's just they have no character or views or anything.... :? Nicky, as usual, is being a star and has found us a few to look at but they are only temporary / short term and we'd really like to get in somewhere NOW to settle down for 6 mths so we have one less thing to worry about....

Moorf

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast