Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: $150,000 houses

Hi, Moorf,

So, out of interest, what amount of shekels would you say is required in ChCh at the moment to purchase a place you would consider decently livable? I'm just curious. As you know, we're planning to settle further north, but things seem to be changing so fast over there, your up-to-date impressions would be of great value to many on the site!!

All the best, Rae

Ok, going to stick my neck on the line here ... but from what we are seeing here we would need to spend at least NZ$400k+ for a nice property with land in a nice area in Chch itself or the nice 'burbs such as Redhills, Mt Pleasant or Sumner which are the areas we would want to live in Chch.... yes, we have expensive taste but why come here and compromise?! eh?

I know, I know, prices are PEANUTS compared to the UK and US and most of us could buy in cash - it's just that it's more than one imagines it would cost in NZ!

A "decently liveable" place could cost approx NZ$300k ...

One thing I have noticed is that the gardens appear considerably smaller than I imagined with houses packed in quite tightly in the city areas.

Of course, bear in mind that these are our initial experiences and once we have explored more may change considerably!

We are in a tizzy at the moment not knowing how to play things as we are in the midst of EOI (decision successful ) yet aren't sure how long it will take to go through so can't really get ball rolling with purchase and aren't toooooo happy about throwing away money on rent :

Can't complain at the prices... perhaps once we are back in employment it won't seem so bad!!

Same up here Moorf but add a $100 onto those rentals. As for buying same dilema, do we dive in and not fork out dead money in rental or risk buying at the peak which seems to be the general feeling.

We have no idea how things are going to work out for Richard so it just seems a bit risk at the moment.

We want a decent rental as it will probably shape how we feel, living in a dump will do nothing to enhance our mood. Yes you can go out for endless walks but not when its peeing it down as it has done up here for most of the week.

Good luck with the search and remember to haggle the price. Why not gor for 6 months with a month to month extension at least you can then go for a house if you find somewhere and the exchange rate improves.

WE are like you and if we could move out of te city we would but the commute would be awful, something we want to escape. Having said that I love Auckland so have no probs at all living here for a few years.

Michelle

The $NZ I quoted in my post were for buying i.e 400,000+ etc etc - rentals are something we have been discussing ALL DAY :? - we hate the idea of lining others pockets BUT we don't want to throw all our money at a purchase when we're so new to it all and don't have jobs, visa's/PR etc etc.

So, we have decided that we shall rent for a year - we went around ALL the areas in Chch today that we felt were appropriate for our needs - here are our conclusions:

Merivale - nice but not our scene, we don't want a big house in a town, we want a big plot with small house and views - no views in Merivale.

Fendalton - see Merivale!

Riccarton - see Merivale!

The Brightons - too much like Neighbours and some of it jaded and some looked a bit dodgy! No views due to sand dunes.

Avondale / St Albans / etc - too "residential" and family orientated, lovely lawns but again, not our scene!

City Centre - errrr.. NO!

Cashmere / Mt Pleasant - nice, with views.. houses prob a bit too large for our needs/wants but would consider if Sumner not available!!

Sumner - well, we are totally in love with this place , feels like home already and we don't want to leave.. looked at a rental today but they want a 12 mth tenant - not sure if we can commit to that at this stage - hope to see some more during next week - we are desperate to live here!!! It is SUCH a lovely little community, the beach, great cafes and restaurants, little cinema, all the shops you could possibly want, etc etc and all nestled by the sea at the foot of the hills over which you can drive and get to lovely places like Governors Bay etc and thru to Akaroa....

SO - decision is made - we will rent UNFURNISHED - why? Because we do intend to stay and eventually we will buy if we do stay - we felt that paying the extra $400 a month for 12 mths for a furnished place was wasting potential furnishing money so we shall buy basics and/or second hand and start from there.... if all else fails we can sell the stuff and at least get some $ back.

Like Michelle & Richard we want somewhere with a bit of space as we have family coming over at Xmas etc... top tip - don't invite family until you are settled otherwise, like us, you may then need to alter your property search to accommodate them too and it may not be possible to do so in a short period and puts extra stress on you to get somewhere "nice" when you could possibly have holed up somewhere smaller and cheaper for a year until settled .... just a thought!!!

So glad we now have a plan - think carefully about what you want to do or you might end up having the kind of, errr, debate we had early this morning when we realised we had 2 weeks until we have to vacate this place!!

So, email me your addresses guys cos we might be homeless in 2 weeks and need some doors to knock on !!!!! Just kiddin... I hope!!

Moorf

ah right, miss read you post moorf, what sort price are you paying for rentals down there ?

Did a few open homes today, WOW saw second house of dreams (well ours maybe not to everybodys taste) in a week. Just not able to commit until we know the situation with Richards job. This house had sea views, pull back the curatins each morning to see Ranagitoto, fab decks living space into which we could have put our entire UK house into. Short walk to St Helliers shops cafes bars............. Just have to be patient and see how things go but paying rent is really going to hack me off.

Michelle

An example of rent - we saw a 2 bed, v. small unfurnished front section north facing with lovely patio for $240/week. It was verging on too small.... but it's in the right location in Sumner...

Ultimately we are looking at c. $250 - $300/week for an unfurnished 2/bed place in Sumner area which is about what we expected to pay.

In town you would be looking (in a nice area) to pay $350+ unfurnished, from what we have seen so far.

What about down there?

We are paying $265 for one bed shoe box ooops sorry unit although the walls are made of cardboard and its about the same size. We will end up paying 450 to 475 painful but thats 3 beds 2 bath, essental given that we have my parents staying with us for 2 months !

It is in a great spot and even if we compromissed on the location I think we would still pay about $400 there is a lot of rubbish, damp terrible decor, dark etc.

Our place has very dodgy electrics and if we survive the next five weeks without at least one shock or electrical applicance going up in smoke I will be highly suprised. Believe it or not this place would still sell for around 225K

Michelle

Is that 450-475 furnished or unfurnished.... if unfurnished would be about same for 3bed/2bath here... in a good location.

We have only viewed one property so not sure about dampness etc here... will certainly keep that in mind tho... you can smell it a mile off or do Kiwi's have a way of disguising this that we should know of?

Look for dehmidifiers although everywhere seems to have them and avoid houses at the bottom of dips.

That price is unfurnished and massess of storage space so at least we wont have to pay storage for all our stuff when it arrives.

Michelle

Moorf

I am probably off the thread subject but do you know about SUPERSHED??

http://www.rmf.org.nz/index.cfm/Supershed

and also something called RETROSHED - for antiques & Collectables

http://www.ccc.govt.nz/QuickAnswers/...eous/F1053.asp

If you are looking at getting a few things while you set yourself up and don't mind 2nd hand items - it maybe worth a look - haven't been there myself but this was posted ages ago on another thread.

Hope it might help you or someone else trying to get by until their goods arrive!!

Tanya :angel

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast