Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adventure School, Whitby

Question Adventure School, Whitby

Has anyone got experience of Adventure School in Whitby? This is the school that we are looking at for my daughter.

She will be 10 next August & i'm not sure what year she will be in. At the moment she has just started year 5 in the UK, but would she go in to year 6 next year? I know the year start in Feb, so would she complete year 5 in UK, but join year 6 in term 4, then start year 7 in 2010.

When my fiance went to the school he said it looked very good & I've looked on the website for the school & it does look good, but I would be grateful for any first hand knowledge of the school

Tiggergirl

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggergirl View Post
    Has anyone got experience of Adventure School in Whitby? This is the school that we are looking at for my daughter.

She will be 10 next August & i'm not sure what year she will be in. At the moment she has just started year 5 in the UK, but would she go in to year 6 next year? I know the year start in Feb, so would she complete year 5 in UK, but join year 6 in term 4, then start year 7 in 2010.

When my fiance went to the school he said it looked very good & I've looked on the website for the school & it does look good, but I would be grateful for any first hand knowledge of the school

Tiggergirl
    Have a friend who lives in Whitby and has children who have gone to the primary school, when this question was previously asked about the primary schools in the area she told me the following:-

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    Had a chance to ask about the three primary schools and this is what I was told:-

All three are similar (from a choice perspective), not really anything to separate them, in the end they let there children decide and they chose Adventure.

If they had to compare them then they would say first Adventure, then
    Discovery and finally Postgate.

They still have one child at Adventure and don't have any problems.

The suggested that when you arrive, arrange an interview at each of them so you can check them out for yourself.

Ian
    HTH
    Ian

Thanks for the advice

It's good to hear from someone that has knowledge of the school and we will certainly take the advice about arranging an interview at each school.

We're planning on going over in February to have a look around at the schools. It's trying to fit it in with the school holidays over here & the school terms over there.

Tiggergirl

Just remember that the new school year doesn't begin until the 2nd week in February, usually.

The son of good friends of ours goes to Adventure School. I will see if I can get my friends to join this forum and give their opinion.

Default Adventure School

Tiggergirl
    Hey Tiggergirl,

Our son does indeed go to Adventure School, and I must say we couldn't be any happier with the school and the staff. Your daughter like our son repeated about 3 months of Year 5, which in hindsight was better for him and helped him settle in, especially as our little fella has Aspergers. The school and inparticular his teachers have worked with us fantastically to aid his development this this has shown in his involvement through class participation, something he'd never do in his UK school. They have excellent facilities there and our son is extremely happy. So much so that we ended up buying our place in whitby so he could continue going there when we moved out of our rental. If there is anything more particular you want to know, just let me know...

regards

Hey there my friend! Thanks for joining and chiming in.

I could look on a map...but where's Whitby? Is Adventure School zoned? If so, how likely is it for kids from other zones to get into the school?

Quote Originally Posted by migratory birds View Post
    I could look on a map...but where's Whitby? Is Adventure School zoned? If so, how likely is it for kids from other zones to get into the school?
    Whitby is a northern suburb of Wellington (20Km away) on the west coast basically on the eastern half of the northern twin harbour of Porirua.

The school isn't currently zoned but is going to be very soon - 13th October.

See Adventure School zone information for details.

There is a note at the bottom about getting enroled outside the zone.

Ian

Talking

Thanks M-Squared for persuading your friend to join the forum.

It's really good to hear from you it johnny. Adventure School looked really good on their website, but it makes it better when you hear from family that have got children at the school. Is your son in year 5 now? My daughter has just started in year 5 this September. I believe the school year starts on the 4th February 2009. We are hoping to come over in the half term. Arriving on 14th February 2009 for a visit.

I'm a bit concerned about the zoning of the school, because when we enquired at the school it wasn't in place. I am hoping they will have some places for children outside the zone, because my fiances house is in Titahi Bay.

Tiggergirl

I'm a bit concerned about the zoning of the school, because when we enquired at the school it wasn't in place. I am hoping they will have some places for children outside the zone, because my fiances house is in Titahi Bay.

Tiggergirl
    I have no idea what the rules will be, but I wouldn't get your hopes up that you will get a place from Titahi bay .

If you look at the new zoning it doesn't even cover all of Whitby, and there are many suburbs closer to the zone than you will be.

But good luck anyway.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast