Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A driving license question

Quote Originally Posted by AndyR View Post
    had this sorted yesterday! very quick and painless and got my Class 1 and 6! pretty sure but I think my points wont be carried onto the new licence. How long do 3 points for speeding last here anyway?
    If you incurred demerit points on your UK licence they won't be applied onto your NZ licence.
    If you have incurred demerit points on your NZ licence they remain valid for two years, but this can depend on whether you subsequently incur additional demerit points.
    The law relating to this is quite confusing to read
    Land Transport Act 1998:
    91. Cancellation and reinstatement of demerit points--- (1) When 2 years have elapsed since the commission of an offence in respect of which demerit points were recorded, the entry of the points made in respect of that offence ceases to have effect in relation to the person who committed that offence; but if demerit points were recorded in respect of 2 or more offences committed by that person, the entry ceases to have effect when 2 years have elapsed since the commission of the
    most recent of those offences.

This page has details of speeding and demerit points: http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/factsheets/33.html

cheers for the link

Can anyone tell me if you need both UK paper licence and credit ID card to get your NZ licence. When OH took theory test last year he got different advice and did not need id card in the end. We had ours stolen here and because we had not informed DVLA of change of address we are unable to get a new ones.

Paper one is legal if stopped by police, insurance and car hire.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelonthemove View Post
    Can anyone tell me if you need both UK paper licence and credit ID card to get your NZ licence. When OH took theory test last year he got different advice and did not need id card in the end. We had ours stolen here and because we had not informed DVLA of change of address we are unable to get a new ones.

DVLA cannot register a non UK address, but you can get a replacement driving licence from the UK posted out to NZ.

However what I did was fill in the paper part for an address change, gave the inlaws address, explained why photo part was not returned (dog eat it) and I was currently in NZ. DVLA sent new licence to inlaws address, then my nice MIL sent the new licence out to me, wrapped in galaxy chocolate to stop it getting bent in post.

I then went to the AA and converted that to a NZ licence.
    EASY AS

Take a photo copy of paper part before sending off.

I don't think you need the plastic bit. I've never had one and they certainly didn't ask for it when I got my NZ licence but that was 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelonthemove View Post

AFAIK, you can do this with just the paper part, you can't do it the other way around i.e. you at least need the paper part.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    AFAIK, you can do this with just the paper part, you can't do it the other way around i.e. you at least need the paper part.

Ian
    Whether both is needed I do not know, but I have just this week got my new license and I went to the AA and gave them my paper part, they looked at it and immediately asked for the id card. Fortunately I had it so cannot say what would have happened had I not had it.I would agree with Ian as Caroline has never had a photo id and they accepted her old license without asking for the id card. having said that there is a distinct difference between the 2, so its best to ask
    This number is for help re driver licensing. If you contact them they will be able to advise you
    0800 822 422
    http://www.nzta.govt.nz/contact/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post

Ian
    well i got my NZ licence a couple of weeks ago with only the photo bit, they didnt ask for the paper part.

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/licensing/index.html

try this link it should tell you what you need to know
    I think you can get to all the other pages on the LTSA site too from there to know about car seats and odd road rules ...

Quote Originally Posted by KerryS View Post
    If you incurred demerit points on your UK licence they won't be applied onto your NZ licence.
    We both got caught speeding during the first year in NZ and presented our UK licenses (which was what we were driving on).

Now converted to NZ licenses and the demerit points we got in the first 12 months have magically appeared on our kiwi license (you can phone them and check) - their computers are too smart

Both been driving 20+ years in the UK with no fines or police hassles. 12 months here and we've both been done twice. ChCh police are pretty hot!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast