Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A driving license question

Default A driving license question

Could one of you who has recently got your NZ drivers license please tell me whether you had to surrender your uk license? I really should be thinking about getting my NZ one but I'm not keen on giving up my UK license especially as we're thinking about heading back home in the not too distant future.

Many Thanks,
    Anna.

Quote Originally Posted by R&A View Post
    Could one of you who has recently got your NZ drivers license please tell me whether you had to surrender your uk license? I really should be thinking about getting my NZ one but I'm not keen on giving up my UK license especially as we're thinking about heading back home in the not too distant future.

Many Thanks,
    Anna.
    No you don't have to surrender your overseas license.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    No you don't have to surrender your overseas license.

Ian
    Wow - what a quick reply! And the one I was hooing to hear! Thank you.

So how do you go about getting a NZ licence? Something we also need to be doing soon, I guess.

Bx

I think you are allowed to drive in NZ for a year, after that you need to change it to a NZ license. If you have a license from certain countries (like UK) it is a straightforward swap, in some other cases you may need theory and/or practical exams.... check this link for more info

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20413

or do a search for driving license, there are more

Quote Originally Posted by Mickstim View Post
    So how do you go about getting a NZ licence? Something we also need to be doing soon, I guess.

Bx
    Start reading Factsheet 56 and all will be explained.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Mickstim View Post

Bx
    Its pretty simple if you've held your license for over two year and its from an approved country (including UK) you need to go into and AA shop, fill in your form, have your eyes tested, picture taken and pay your money! I'm not sure how much I think I read ~$45 but not certain. If you havent held license that long then I think you need to do theory and/or practical test although don't hold me to it - I didn't look into that situation as it does not apply to me.

it's dead easy. Go to your nearst VINZ centre (in phone book) Take your passport and a letter saying confirming your address. Fill in the form at the desk, stick your head in the eye test machine and read off a few letters and acknowledge a few flashing lights. Stand in front of a camera and try not to snigger too much. pay your money (can't remember but $45 is about right.Keep your UK licence. They give you a temporary slip of paper and you wait for the real one to come in the post. As of 1st September this year you don't have to take a test but you do have to have had you full UK licence for two years.

Thanks all - sounds much easier than when I exchanged my SA one for a UK one!

Bx

had this sorted yesterday! very quick and painless and got my Class 1 and 6! pretty sure but I think my points wont be carried onto the new licence. How long do 3 points for speeding last here anyway?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast