Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Knitting yarn

Question Knitting yarn

I think I have spotted a few knitters/crafters on this forum...

Would anyone know the average price of a ball of merino-mix yarn in the local shops? Also, are there specific crafts shops or which types of shops would I find the best selection of yarns in? What about fabrics?

I have found a couple of internet shops and was wondering whether the $15 seems the average price for a 50g ball. The merino yarn is expensive in the UK and I was hoping it'd be cheaper in NZ. Any other ideas where to buy from? Ebay in the US?

And, eugh, my skin cannot handle ordinary wool...

Have you looked at TradeMe?
    Although, even there looks like you get a better deal if you buy a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by BkyMonster View Post
    Have you looked at TradeMe?
    Although, even there looks like you get a better deal if you buy a lot.
    Even on TradeMe the prices per ball seem about $12-15. And the choice of colours is not always the best (although the pink-yellow mix IS very cheerful) So far US eBay seems cheapest but have paid full UK prices as I have been worried about customs etc. duties when buying from US.

Ideally, I also like to feel the yarn and see it and would love a yarn/fabric superstore in NZ. Please, oh please Forumites, tell me that this exists

Quote Originally Posted by wwwdot View Post
    Ideally, I also like to feel the yarn and see it and would love a yarn/fabric superstore in NZ. Please, oh please Forumites, tell me that this exists
    I'm sure that you won't have any problems e.g. Spotlight - Yarns & Accessories and I'm sure that there are plenty of better sources than them (IMO).

Where about are you heading to and I'm sure that other forum members will be able to advise on the best shops in their area.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post

Where about are you heading to and I'm sure that other forum members will be able to advise on the best shops in their area.

Ian
    you may find little local factory shops or little shops sell them at cheaper price.

I'm sure that you won't have any problems e.g. Spotlight - Yarns & Accessories and I'm sure that there are plenty of better sources than them (IMO).

Ian
    Spotlight seems great and they have a shop in Dunedin Is the only reason you don't like them high prices or...

Quote Originally Posted by nippa&pippa View Post
    you may find little local factory shops or little shops sell them at cheaper price.
    Great thanks for the idea! I just noticed that Merinopossum seems to be located in Dunedin.

Great thanks for the idea! I just noticed that Merinopossum seems to be located in Dunedin.
    Just ask the owner of the shops to see if they have any in stock, or not, ask them to take you to the person who selling it at cheaper.

Once you are in NZ and try to mix with local communities, soon or later, person will tell you where you get this, get that at cheaper price . Just it is case of you need to get on with kiwis to know what going on behind the scene, like cash works

Spotlight seems great and they have a shop in Dunedin Is the only reason you don't like them high prices or...
    I've not got anything against spotlight and would definitely recommend that you check them out, I'm sure that they are a great resource.

But I would expect that you will be able to find a speciality shop would give you better advice and choices.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by nippa&pippa View Post
    Once you are in NZ and try to mix with local communities, soon or later, person will tell you where you get this, get that at cheaper price . Just it is case of you need to get on with kiwis to know what going on behind the scene, like cash works
    Ooh, that should come naturally to me I hope as I tend to be very stingy.Yes, I was hoping to meet like-minded people in Dunedin... I hope there are some knitting circles in NZ ... not sure how popular that is over there (in the UK my knitting circle consists of husband watching TV while I knit next to him).

I've not got anything against spotlight and would definitely recommend that you check them out, I'm sure that they are a great resource.

But I would expect that you will be able to find a speciality shop would give you better advice and choices.

Ian
    Thanks again for the clarification. I am trying to figure out whether I should buy the yarn for my next project here or in NZ (or somewhere else)...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast