Thread: Chickens and Dairy Goats??

Default Chickens and Dairy Goats??

I am moving my chicken questions to their own thread--as they were out of place on Moorf's egg recipe thread!

We love our chickens madly and hate leaving them. We have buff orpingtons, australorps, barred rocks and brown leghorns. Also a flock of guinea fowl.

I was curious about breeds there (obviously, you have the buffs and australorps) do you have all the breeds?
    What about hatcheries? do they mail day old chicks?

What about predators? We have so many hawks here that OH had to build an elaborate aviary to keep them safe! Hopefully, we won't have to re-build this in NZ!

Also, I have questions about dairy goats. Anyone keep one? I can't find info for Nigerian Dwarf goats in NZ and I am thinking I may have to import them--which I am sure is a nightmare based on what I know of importing our standard poodle. Hopefully, livestock is easier???

And, yes, for those wondering, we are serious about our food sources!! LOL

New Zealand may not have all the poultry breeds that North America does because of the country's strict biosecurity regulations and because of the lack of market for them. This site has listings for breeders of various types of available chooks: http://www.rarebreeds.co.nz/chooks.html. You can get guinea fowl, pea fowl, ducks (including Muscovies) and geese. As far as predators, there are hawks here, plus stoats, ferrets and dogs, so people do build secure chicken coops. If you buy a lifestyle block (10-acre farmlet), you may find that a coop has already been built.

I don't know of anyone raising dairy goats on a small scale. Perhaps you can find someone through http://www.lifestyleblock.co.nz/? I would check with MAF about importing Nigerian dwarf goats. I'm fairly sure it will be harder than importing dogs, because as ruminants, goats share a fair number of the same diseases as sheep and cows, and the government will do all it can to protect NZ livestock from introduced disease. (Milk solids, beef and lamb form a huge proportion of NZ's export income.)

All the best.

Hi

We have barred rocks too, plus a couple of Australorp/Silky crosses - all layers. They all free range but have a coop to go back to at night which isn't locked and they have permanent in/out access. There are hawks around but they'd need a fork lift to grab one of my barred rocks -they're huge

The two silky crosses aren't clipped and they roost in the pine trees

Dairy goats are increasingly popular round here ... in fact, don't ask me why, but there was a big "Say No to Dairy Goats" sign just near Oxford the other day I have a Canadian friend who keeps dairy goats if you need a contact, I found her on the lifestyleblock forum Sweatpea mentioned.

Haven't heard of shipping 1 day old chicks - don't want to hear about it either - I rather hope they don't mail them. You can buy fertilized eggs and there are local hatcheries so you don't really need to be shipping live chicks around...

We're investigating some eaters for the coming Spring/Summer - any suggestions on good breeds to look for?

HTH
    Moorf

Quote Originally Posted by Ashby View Post
    What about hatcheries? do they mail day old chicks?
    Yes. And for export purposes too. You can hear them chirping in the warehouse below my office.

No idea about any of your other questions though.

Here in the US, they mail the chicks when they hatch. They arrive in 1 or 2 days. I thought is was barbaric but they have done it for most of the last century. I have never had any dead upon arrival so I guess it works.

We don't eat our chickens--only eggs. So I don't know anything about the meat chickens. I know our austrolorps and buffs are HUGE and dual purpose birds. My barred rocks are babies from this year so I am not sure how big they will get. And I guess I will not get to see if we leave.

Moorf, as for hawks carrying off the HUGE chickens--I don't know about the hawks in NZ, but the ones here can take off a baby goat!! No kidding. My friend with a large goat operation lost one this spring that way. Gruesome to think about. I know they make everything bigger in Texas but the hawks aren't massive IMO.

Great, OH will be thrilled to rebuild!!

Radio NZ's program "This Way Up" recently ran a whole slew of articles on the joys of raising chooks in NZ, spread out over a number of weeks. It was interesting listening even to somebody who didn't have any plans to have them. You can get them all on podcasts. I can't remember if I subscribed via ITunes or NZ Radio direct, but have a look. You'd need to go back and get the last 3 month's worth of podcasts.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ22 View Post
    Radio NZ's program "This Way Up" recently ran a whole slew of articles on the joys of raising chooks in NZ, spread out over a number of weeks. It was interesting listening even to somebody who didn't have any plans to have them. You can get them all on podcasts. I can't remember if I subscribed via ITunes or NZ Radio direct, but have a look. You'd need to go back and get the last 3 month's worth of podcasts.
    WOW! thanks I will look on iTunes!
    I love the chooks--the name of our chicken farm here is "the kooky chook farm" (OK, it is just 36 birds but it feels like a farm)
    and our goat ranch name is "the grumpy goat" (that is the OH--he is a capricorn LOL)(and yes, that does make me the kooky chook)
    We have logos and t-shirts and everything