Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mattresses

Default mattresses

should we bring? are good mattresses a costly in nz?

Leslie, If you have it bring it. It is costly to replace things in one hit here. If you bring the stuff out here and find you can afford to replace then you can sell your old stuff easily here as there is a thriving 2nd hand market.
    Its just that when you first get here its nice to have familiar things about and it also gives you more time to find your way about the place shops wise.

Good market for second hand matresses as well?

Was thinking about getting new ones and getting rid of the old ones...
    But if you say there's a market for them... :angel

Was thinking about going through my books, I have about 30 bookshelves full (not counting the kids books upstairs)
    Might start a little bookshop in NZ?!

Also was thinking getting rid of our 4 bikes, so we can buy new ones for the kids over there, or should we buy them new ones here?

I think I need to stop thinking for now! :mrgreen:

Hannah - I saw a post recently about someone who'd bought a new bike for his son before he left the UK and the child had an accident that caused some damage to the bike. He needed to get spare parts but they weren't available. Needless to say, he regretted not waiting to get to NZ to get the bike :?

Bring them!!! We looked at matresses & beds here as we wanted to get a double matress to tide us over until our sea container arrived - they were expensive (well more than we wanted to pay) so we slept on the floor for 3 weeks!

Just a thought, read here somewhere about air beds, are they cheap over there or are we best bringing them in our cases?

The way things are looking, I may be left here sleeping on one after shipping our stuff, as looks like hubby may be there before me as he has two interviews lined up (one phone and one in London, the company just happened to be here in UK).

So dump the bikes, bring the old matresses (scribbles on to do list)
    Thanks all!

Yeah you can get air matresses cheap at 'The Warehouse'. I'd get them out here as they'd probably take up quite a bit of space & weight in your luggage.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahw
    Yeah you can get air matresses cheap at 'The Warehouse'. I'd get them out here as they'd probably take up quite a bit of space in your luggage.

Only if you take them fully blown up!!!!

Sorry I'll get my coat ....

Hi - just wanted to let you know that you can sometimes get good deals by buying the frame and mattress together. We got a nice wood slat bed with (what we think is a fantastic) mattress for NZD850 from a local shop in Browns Bay. There seem to be quite a few specials and always, always negotiate the price. We did with Farmers (for other household goods) and saved well over a thousand!!

Haydee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast