Thread: How much to send a car to NZ from UK? Any good companies?

Default How much to send a car to NZ from UK? Any good companies?

Hi all,

Just a quick one - does anyone know how much it'd cost to send our car from the UK to Auckland? And please could anyone recommend any good companies? Any hidden costs?

Any information would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks a lot

Tony

One of our neighbours who lives in the penthouse where we live owns a Rolls Royce and bought it over from the UK about 15 years ago. Ok things have changed now but he used this firm and was happy with them then. But as I say it was some time ago.

http://www.carshipping.co.uk/index.html

It is also worth checking here on all the regs for shipping cars
    http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/importing/
    Last edited by Dave in NZ; 16th September 2008 at 09:18 PM.

Hi Tony, I shipped my car earlier this year when we came. The first thing you need to check before even considering shipping it, is will it pass the criterea to enter the country, it's not only us humans that get tested before entry!!!
    Sadly though they do the tests at this end so if it fails you've already paid for it to be shipped and then you have to pay for them to dispose of it. If you have a reasonably new car you should be fine, old cars can be more difficult. The chap who tested mine back in June said they ammended the regulations this april as they have emmision/ pollution concerns. You can get more info from the land transport site and MAFF.
    Your car will need to be valets, steam cleaned and chemically sprayed just before shipping....rough costs valet was £60, Steam clean £ 120 and Chemical spray £30. ( you will need certificates to show this has been done)
    Three are three ways to ship it, a rolling carrier, a shared shipping container, or lone container. I was lucky mine fitted in the shipping container with our furniture.
    Once it arrives you have to pay for MAFF inspection costs may vary dependent on vehicle but mine was £ 120. You then have to pay for the WoF Warrenty of fitness ( MOT) and Vehicle licence ( road tax) , oh and a new number plate.
    ONe thing my shippers didn't tell me was once here you need to complete a customs declaration for the car and as part of this you must have a current valuation, or the original purchase documents. You must also prove ownership ( v5) and that you have owned the car for at least 12 months ( i think it's 12, could be 24, best check), you also must sign a document to say that you will not sell it on for at least 5 years.
    Oh and I nearly forgot, you have to pay for it to be transported from the dock to the vehicle testing centre as it cannot be driven until tested , but tha was only $25.00.....we used PSS international, they explained it all to us very clearly ( except the bit about a valuation) Goodluck.

Thanks very much to both of you for the detailed information, very much appreciated!!
    Wow, sounds nearly as complicated as the immigration system!

Cheers guys!

Tony