Thread: Garden maintenance franchise

Default Garden maintenance franchise

Anyone have any experience of these out there?

Am thinking of buying one when we arrive and interested in peoples experiences of certain companys, any known issues with certain firms, any with good reps etc.

Cheers

as a professional horticulturalist with several years in corporate sales an marketing as well my first question to you walshy would be why buy a franchise for something that is not a unique product or service?
    surely all you are paying for is a little bit of marketing and paperwork support and the client list?
    From my experience people buy people even more so in NZ than the UK so no amount of paid for marketing will replace feet on the street and meeting people. From a paperwork perspective I really cant see what benefits a franchise would really give you and as for client list... well, nice to have but not worth actually paying anything for... you are only as good as your last job!
    Sorry but I have not really answered your question but maybe offered some constructive food for thought... if you want to go into this line of work I would say just get stuck in on your own with your own company, make your own success rather than pay for someone elses!

Quote Originally Posted by walshy View Post
    Anyone have any experience of these out there?

Am thinking of buying one when we arrive and interested in peoples experiences of certain companys, any known issues with certain firms, any with good reps etc.

Cheers
    I'd suggest talking to Canajanz about this.....she'd be able to give you some information, help and opinions.

I'm inclined to agree with Broadsword08. Your management and marketing skills are easily good enough to set something like this up by yourself, Brendon. The franchises just provide a template to work from if you have no knowledge of business, and this certainly isn't the case with you. This isn't an LTBV idea, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by broadsword08 View Post
    as a professional horticulturalist with several years in corporate sales an marketing as well my first question to you walshy would be why buy a franchise for something that is not a unique product or service?
    surely all you are paying for is a little bit of marketing and paperwork support and the client list?
    From my experience people buy people even more so in NZ than the UK so no amount of paid for marketing will replace feet on the street and meeting people. From a paperwork perspective I really cant see what benefits a franchise would really give you and as for client list... well, nice to have but not worth actually paying anything for... you are only as good as your last job!
    Sorry but I have not really answered your question but maybe offered some constructive food for thought... if you want to go into this line of work I would say just get stuck in on your own with your own company, make your own success rather than pay for someone elses!
    I concur and have set up my own garden business, I'll PM you

Thanks everyone, Nick , no it isnt a ltbv, we are arriving hopefully in november with residence as wife has a job offer in Tauranga, we have been invited to apply and just doing medicals so fingers crossed, As mentioned before I dont want to do real estate anymore, I dont want to manage lots of people, I want to do something I enjoy for myself and have more time at home with the family but still make money!!

You are right I do have the marketing skills, and Broadswood you are right that people buy people and I certainly thought about doing it myself, but on arrival I am going to need to hit the ground running, and to have a 'guaranteed wage' initially which is what a lot of them offer, and a list of clients is appealing rather than arriving in a country where I know no one and only visited once 5 years ago, starting from scratch and hoping for the best.

Bens story certainly encourages me, and I am compiling a list of questions for him! My natural instinct is to do it myself, but arriving in a new country with two young children and bills probably rolling in immediately (kindergarten etc) the franchise seems the safer option.

guess you need to look at the likely start up period and cash flow through that against the initial purchase cost of the franchise ;o)
    have you done this kind of work for a living before walshy?
    maybe the sensible thing to do on arrival is to go and work for a maintenance company for a start of thereby ensuring a weekly wage and giving you a chance to get your bearings and assess the marketplace - do you know what people want in this market and what it costs locally to deliver that service?
    if you havent been here for 5 years wouldnt it be advisable to conduct such an assessment before handing over cool hard cash?
    my wife says i'm a swine for dotting is and crossing ts!!!

You took the words right out of my mouth.

The money spent on purchasing the franchise would pay alot of bills during the set up period. Plus it won't get you experience, that can only be done (especially in a new country) by doing the job. Find a position with a local firm and learn at their expense, the pay will be awful, but the experience will be priceless. You will also get a feel for the local market and possibly identify a niche.

I understand your reasons for going for a franchise - a degree of certainty over cash flow, ready made business template/ equipment requirements. I don't think it would take you long to work this info out for yourself, especially if you have worked for a landscaper for a while first.

May I also chip in?

Again, I have nothing to do with gardening/franchises, but from the point of view of "getting in with the locals" (something you'll need to do as you will have competition locally) I also believe you'd be better off working for an already established gardening contractor - you'll build up a good picture of the market, demand, competition, costs/prices and, perhaps most importantly in NZ (imho), you'll make contacts and get your face known in the area.

It'll also give you time to assess the various franchises being offered in NZ.

HTH
    Moorf