Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To buy or not to buy...

Default To buy or not to buy...

I need some honest answers folks!
    We have 2 desk top computers at home, one of which is getting shipped out (the other one is quite old and nasty!) Since my OH is going out much earlier than me he was looking to buy a laptop out there to use (and then hopefully give to me when I arrive lol).

We are unsure as to whether to buy a laptop here in the UK and have him take it as hand luggage, or maybe buy one out in NZ to save all the faffing around with plugs and stuff.

So what do you reckon? Is it hard to swap plugs? Do you have to? Will a UK laptop work at all out there? Are they expensive in NZ?

Please help!!! He's going in less than 2 weeks

Claire

Hi - there is a N.Z. comparison site http://www.pricespy.co.nz/cat_22.html which will give you a rough idea on prices for laptops or search google.co.nz if you have a particular make in mind. As for plugs we changed some and others we bought adaptors, from Mitre !0 or Bunnings - similar to B.Q;s etc. Good luck with move.

oh good question! We were thinking about getting a laptop here in the US before we left... I've heard that you would just need a new plug and that the voltage difference would be ok... I'm sure someone can confirm if that's right or not...

I went over in June/July for my job interview (and a bit of a holiday I admit). I brought my UK laptop over as I had a seminar and lecture to give. It worked perfectly fine. Had to buy a converter plug which cost about £2 or something like that I have in the past lugged various laptops around the world and never had a problem, even if the country had a different voltage like they have in the US. So no problem bring UK laptop I reckon. The only warning I would give though is that you may have a problem if it ever needs repairs. Might be worth sticking to a main brand/model that is available there

Voltage will be ok - the power pack controls that so you just need the appropriate adapter at the plug end

A laptop from 1 of the bigger vendors such as HP, Sony, Toshiba etc SHOULD prove easier in terms of parts and service.

Price varies enormously within the same country, let alone half way round the world so make good use of the internet to compare which is the best deal for you.

I've looked at Dells for the inlaws and they seem to be pretty much the same price in the UK and NZ.

I've bopught laptops in Malaysia- used to be much cheaper so if you are stopping anywhere on route that might be an idea. Acer used to have international warranties which is useful. A pal of mine bought a DELL in the US and had a problem when it went wrong. He wasn't even allowed to deal with the UK call center but had to ring the US (who then put him though to a center in another country anyway!).

Julie

As others have mentioned way up the warranty issue against any savings. Also, as another poster suggested, laptops can be even cheaper en route.

For instance Changi Airport claims to match downtown Singapore prices:

http://www.changiairport.com/changi/...ls_changi.html

Cheers

Tia

You can pre-order some items, see the box to the right of the main picture.

Then you can buy online and pick up when you arrive at Changi.

Cheers

Tia

As others have said I would check you can get them repaired. We bought a Fujitsu in the UK before we left, now it has broken and we are unable to get it repaired as they don't sell Fujitsu's in NZ (apparently).

I would probably be inclined to buy one here when you arrive as you don't have the hassle with plugs etc. The only thing I would say is make sure you use a surge breaker as NZ is prone to powercuts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast