Thread: Reference letter without job description... How???

Angry Reference letter without job description... How???

Was requesting for a reference letter from my ex-employer. The HR replied the below:

Hi,

We have managed to contact your previous supervisor. Unfortunately, they are unable to verify your job roles.. From our side, we are able to provide a standard certification letter stating your designation and date joined.

Thank you.

OH NO...... that will be a reference letter without work description. Will that count???? How should i reply her email?

My friend has had much the same thing from her employer. They verify there is nothing bad on her employment file, what her leaving date was and that they would re employ her. Nothing else! She also approached 4 different people she has worked under at the company to give her personal/more in depth references. With all the references together they are fine and give a complete picture of her.

Is there anyone you worked with who could do this for you? A supervisor for example.

I'm now trying to get hold of my previous supervisor and get him to verify my work experience. I have no bad record, really have no idea why HR said that he is unable to verify my job role. I worked there for about 2.5 year and have already left since Aug 2004. Even through 4 years has passed, he should more or less still remember my job scope right?

Most of my close colleagues have already left the company and we have lost contact, it'll be quite impossible to get reference from them.
    btw, i have all my orginal yearly increment, probation letter, some payslip, even OT form. Just no job description, but my designation as a 'Programmer' should tell a lot on my job description right?

Just a suggestion, but don't know if it would help....

Why not try to get in direct touch with your ex supervisor? If they hear from you personally, they maybe able to remember and give you a detailed reference.

Good luck...wish you the best!

Would it be possible for you to write the letter of reference (no need for any glowing praise, just details of the job roles) and then ask your ex-boss or supervisor to check it and print it off the company's letter head with the boss's signature?

I know what you mean about the annoying standard "This person worked from __ to __ and that's it." kind of reference, very common with civil service jobs. Sounds so cold and officious!

Yes I did that. I wrote the letter myself. Email it to HR, all i asked for is that they attached the letterhead and print it out for the HR manager to sign. Its just that simple........

It was a simple letter with my employment duration, job description.

I really cant help but think that my previous supervisor is unwilling to endorse anything "Just in case" he might be held responsible for it. Not sure how the HR verify my job description with him, in any case i have already emailed him directly to get an answer. Well, thats how MNC works, approval after approval..

Tried calling too but no one pick up.

Did the same with my 2nd employer (Small company), wrote a testimony with job description and full of praises for myself. My director printed it with their letterhead and signed without battling an eyelid. All done within 2 days.