Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ocean/Lake water temperature for swimming?

Question Ocean/Lake water temperature for swimming?

I love swimming in the ocean and lakes but I get an allergic reaction if the water is too cold. What are NZ's water temperatures? Are they warm? I like the water to feel almost luke warm near 80+F or around 30C, does that exist in NZ? For example: if you have ever visited the golf around Florida or have swam in the ocean in Daytona Beach or Miami Florida, that is the temp I like.

I wish it didn't have to be like that...but I guess I'm warm blooded!

The waters at Abel Tasman (Pohara beach to be exact) were gorgeous and warm when we visited in late January. Round Canterbury coast the water is cold all year, warmer in summer but not what I'd call anywhere near lukewarm!

As for the Southern Lakes.. glacial/mountain fed - pretty cold! Or "refreshing" as we like to call them...

Nope - way colder here. About 20c during summer months around Auckland and colder the further south you go.
    I surf, and wear either a 7mm or 3mm suit depending on season. Only in the height of summer would I consider going without and just wearing a rash vest. People surf down in Dunedin in winter though, so they're obviously hardier than I am.

This site is quite good for explaining the water temps etc around the country:
    http://www.seafriends.org.nz/oceano/special.htm

Wow! I had a feeling about that! Texas lake water has spoiled me. I will have to try to dip into Pahora Beach later this year to see how I react. Maybe only heated pools will be my only choices.

Quote Originally Posted by timeanzbound View Post
    Maybe only heated pools will be my only choices.
    You'll have to find some hot spring pools - normal swimming pools generally aren't heated here either.

Yep, you'll have to go to Hanmer or Rotorua or some such spot for the hot springs

Yikes. To think I'll only dive in waters that are at least 28 degrees celcius.

Brrrrrr......

Quote Originally Posted by Moorf View Post
    Yep, you'll have to go to Hanmer or Rotorua or some such spot for the hot springs
    Hot Springs? Sounds like my kind of water!

Quote Originally Posted by timeanzbound View Post
    I love swimming in the ocean and lakes but I get an allergic reaction if the water is too cold. What are NZ's water temperatures? Are they warm? I like the water to feel almost luke warm near 80+F or around 30C, does that exist in NZ? For example: if you have ever visited the golf around Florida or have swam in the ocean in Daytona Beach or Miami Florida, that is the temp I like.

I wish it didn't have to be like that...but I guess I'm warm blooded!
    Well you'd have to distinguish between offshore temperatures and coastal waters....

Off shore, the warmest it will ever get is 24C, that is in a very warm year and only in Northland.
    You can add a few degrees to that for swimming at the beach where the water is more shallow.
    That's why certain places in the Abel Tasman feel lovely and warm, shallow water....despite offshore it being only ~18C in late February.
    Good time for swimming is, tide permitting.....if the tide comes in during the evening it will roll over the hot sand and the water will be nice and warm for an evening dip.

I've swum in the Gulf of Mexico and there is absolutely nothing like that in the sea here.

If you really must swim in warm water, go to the Kai Iwi Lakes in Northland- they would fit the bill perfectly. It's fresh water obviously but during summer it is very warm and comparable to the Gulf!

ha I windsurf and surf in Ireland all year round and the water temp drops to 10 - 16c. New Zealand sounds great!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast