Thread: ESTA required if travelling via USA

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default ESTA required if travelling via USA

For those that are travelling to the USA, or through USA on the way to NZ on or after 12th January, you need to be aware that the rules for the visa waiver programme will be changing.

From 12 January 2009 it will be compulsory for travellers to the United States under the Visa Waiver Programme (VWP) to apply for an Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA) no later than 72 hours prior to departure. This online form will replace the green visa waiver form (I-94W) which is currently completed whilst en-route to the US.
    Not seen this mentioned on the forum yet, so thought it may be useful?

Ian

Thanks Ian

does that mean if travelling from UK to NZ via US everyone will need to do this?

(I haven't got that far in the planning yet so don't know if this applies to me)

Quote Originally Posted by tea drinker View Post
    Thanks Ian

does that mean if travelling from UK to NZ via US everyone will need to do this?

(I haven't got that far in the planning yet so don't know if this applies to me)
    It's basically a change to the visa waiver program so all those people from visa waiver countries who are using this option will now have to do this procedure instead of the old one. If you've done it before then you would have filled in a green form on the plane, after this change you will effectively be filling in the form (electronically) before you travel instead.

If you have a USA visa to enter, or transit through the US then this procedure won't apply to you (not to be confused with a NZ visa).

Ian

so...
    when I eventually get on the flight to NZ with my virtual holiday visa from the UK flying via US I will need to fill in the electronic US visa waiver form before I go?

Quote Originally Posted by tea drinker View Post
    so...
    when I eventually get on the flight to NZ with my virtual holiday visa from the UK flying via US I will need to fill in the electronic US visa waiver form before I go?
    If you mean that you will need to fill in the electronic US visa waiver details (ESTA) at least 72 hours before you depart, then yes if you are flying via the US after January 12th you will need to apply if you have a 'virtual holiday visa' for the US.

Ian