Thread: Flights from London

Default Flights from London

Hi
    I've just started to search flights to NZ and I saw that there were direct flights from London to Auckland. Are those flights non-stop? What is the flight duration?
    Thanks!

I would doubt that they would be non-stop. A plane would need to refuel en-route. Depending on the route it can take anything from 24 hours upwards.

There are no 'non-stop' flights as London->Auckland is beyond the range of aircraft. Flights going west generally refuel in LA, while flights going east can refuel in lots of places, such as Dubai, Singapore etc.

By 'non-stop', it generally means that you don't change planes at the refuel airport or take an extended stop-over. Our flight via LA, for example is called non-stop because the plane lands, we get off for a couple of hours while they clean it up and refuel, then we get back on the same plane and carry on the journey.

we are on a non-stop .. Heathrow to Auckland via Hong Kong
    Can I ask what normally happens at the "middle" bit? I presume we get off plane for couple of hours - do we take our cabin luggage - do we get same seats when we get back on etc? anything else I should do/think about?? (brain going to mush!)

Quote Originally Posted by vixxann View Post
    we are on a non-stop .. Heathrow to Auckland via Hong Kong
    Can I ask what normally happens at the "middle" bit? I presume we get off plane for couple of hours - do we take our cabin luggage - do we get same seats when we get back on etc? anything else I should do/think about?? (brain going to mush!)

The cabin crew will tell you on the flight, but usually you have to take all your cabin baggage with you. You should have the same seat on both legs, as you will only have one boarding pass - don't forget to take this with you as well, and not throw it away mid-journey as I've done in the past...

Our "non-stop" flight on Sunday from Sydney to London stops for an hour in Singapore.

It's 22hr 45mins in total from Syd (plus the extra 2.5 hours to get from Chch to Syd, and the extra 30 mins to get from Dunedin to Chch!)

For the stop in LA, you don't enter the airport proper but rather are ushered into a sealed room so you can't contaminate the locals with your seditious ideas. You are then shuffled back on to the plane and off you go without ever really touching US soil (although giving them one last opportunity to collect vast amounts of personal data about you - the US examines information held in passenger name records (PNR) for every passenger flying into the country. These files are created whenever you book a ticket and can include: data on frequent flyers [i.e. everywhere you've been]; credit card numbers; email addresses; phone numbers; information on travelling companions, and so on. If officials want more information on bank or email accounts, they can apply for it through the courts. All this for passengers who never leave a sealed room! Welcome to Amerika!)