Thread: Plumbing question - add radiators to a central heating system

Default Plumbing question - add radiators to a central heating system

Probably a daft question on plumbing, but...

I've just replaced many of the radiators in our house in the UK with relatively new (40 years newer than the old ones) radiators that I bought off ebay for next to nothing. I understand that I can't do much plumbing in NZ. While I understand this makes sense for the drinking water, I was wondering if I would be allowed to add radiators to a central heating system, or whether I would have to get a professional in to do the work. Having said that I don't really know if this makes economic sense anyway. Are plumbers expensive in NZ? There like hens teeth round here!

Regards

Ed Ellie Katie & Jeremy

Ha ha you are more likely to get the answer "...whats a radiator?.." or "..Whats a central heating system?" in NZ I'm afraid.

Not many houses have them.

i was gonna say the same as cityBlue, radiators and central heating are not very common in NZ.

My brother has just put central heating radiators through his house in Gore and did 95% of the work himself. He just needed a plumber mate who had a special crimper thing to finish off the job.
    But there was no statutory regulations to say he couldn't do it. I think he also installed the coal burner that fires it all up himself too.

http://www.consumerbuild.org.nz/publ...l-plumbing.php

I think the regs only cover potable water and drainage so should be ok for changing rads, but probably require a plumber to plumb the boiler(would need a gas fitter anyway if gas fired).

Most kiwis will think central heating is a electric fire in the middle of the room.

I looked into this here and Gar1 is correct. We added central heat and did not need a building consent or inspection for it, we checked. I would get a professional to do the boiler though, there are people around that do it here.

Wouldn't it be easier to use one of the domestic ventilation/ circulation systems? You just heat one room and then pipe the hot air around the house, or heat the air when it's being moved. It is not an insurance job if it springs a leak while you are out for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by clg View Post
    I looked into this here and Gar1 is correct. We added central heat and did not need a building consent or inspection for it, we checked. I would get a professional to do the boiler though, there are people around that do it here.
    We got some quotes for central heating when we first bought our house and we were told that if we purchased a diesel boiler we would have needed a permit for the oil storage tank:

http://www.ccc.govt.nz/quickanswers/.../Fires/F99.asp

Thanks everyone, I didn't realise that sort of central heating was so rare in NZ, I guess that also means there isn't so many cheap nearly new rads in NZ like there are in the UK.

Regards

Ed Ellie Katie & Jeremy