Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FAQ: WTR Offer from Skilled Migrant Application

Post FAQ: WTR Offer from Skilled Migrant Application

hello, 'just something to contribute to fellow migrators.

What is WTR?
    Work to Residency, this is a visa allowing you to work temporarily in New Zealand with the goal of gaining residency. Official information can be found here. The requirement differs on each applications but most often, a job offer is necessary.

Then, what kind of WTR is the one offered for Skilled Migrant Applicants?
    Skilled migrants applicants without a job offer have the tendency (not all applicants) to be given a WTR offer, and have their residency applications deferred for 12 months. This WTR, is a bit different from the normal WTR visa as the requirements are very minimal. This is because bulk of requirements have been submitted along with the ITA already.

What are the requirements for this WTR?
    First, this WTR must be filed within 3 months upon receipt of offer (email). I believe the reason for this short time is because your personal profile could have change a lot if the deadline is longer. The offer is made based on the ITA you filed, hence, application must be submitted immediately.

Requirements:
    • Fill-up 2 documents. 1) "Additional Information Documents" (similar to the one submitted in the ITA), and 2) WTR Application Form, which I suppose is different than the WTR application form not coming from a deferred Skilled Migrant Application.
    • Proof of funds to stay in NZ for 3 months. This is $1000 (NZD) per month per individual if accommodation hasn't been arranged, or $400 (NZD) per month per individual if there's accomodation set already. This is officially stated here.
    • Original Valid Passport
    • Courier Fee of $25(USD) payable to New Zealand Immigration Service, add $10 (USD) if bankdraft was made in USD

There is no need to pay any processing fee.

How quick is the processing time?
    Now, this is a debatable item as NZIS is either hit or miss. However, I bet it won't be a long wait as they won't be assigning a new case officer for your application. it would be the same case officer as the one who received your ITA.

What is the expiry date of this WTR?
    WTR visa must be used within 3 months upon issue.

Is it specified which job is allowed to perform in thisWTR?
    Location and nature of work are unspecified in the visa. Hence, any kind of work, at least legal , is fine.

How long is this WTR valid?
    The visa will allow you to work for up to a period of 9 months in NZ.

What will happen to my deferred residency application?
    After moving to NZ by WTR, securing a skilled job, and keeping it for atleast 3 months, you can have your residency reassessed. The additional requirements will be submitted in nearest immigration office in NZ, or unless specified. You will not be submitting it to the branch where you had your original ITA assessed.

What if i find job within my 9-month WTR permit but it falls short of the 3-month requirement to have my residency reassessed?
    You could request for extension of another 3 months of your current WTR.

What are the additional requirements for my residency to be reassessed?
    Proof of work such as certificate of employment detailing job description and responsibilities, pay slips, your passport of course, among others.

Do I need to exit NZ before my 9-month WTR expires even if I have my residency approved already within the WTR validity?
    No, you don't need to exit NZ in this case.

Hope this makes sense. 'Might add some more if I can think of anything relevant. This might be limited to NZIS Beijing branch though.

Cheers!
    Last edited by yossarian; 26th September 2008 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yossarian View Post
    Is it specified which job is allowed to perform in thisWTR?
    Location and nature of work are unspecified in the visa. Hence, any kind of work, at least legal , is fine.
    Have you actually confirmed that NZIS are happy for you to obtain any kind of work and then grant you your PR? And that this is true in all cases?

I wouldn't expect the WTR to specifiy the exact job you must obtain but would have expected NZIS to ensure it meets some condition for granting a PR.

So what I'm trying to say is, is this information "As Far As You Know" or definite as it may be important for some forum members.

Can you also add details of problems with employers not taking you seriously because as far as they are concerned your visa is only for 9 months. This has previously been reported by other forum members - I believe that you can get a covering letter from NZIS to explain this to the employer.

Ian

Thank you yossarian !! It is very useful thread/faq indeed .
    wish you good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    Have you actually confirmed that NZIS are happy for you to obtain any kind of work and then grant you your PR? And that this is true in all cases?

I wouldn't expect the WTR to specifiy the exact job you must obtain but would have expected NZIS to ensure it meets some condition for granting a PR.

So what I'm trying to say is, is this information "As Far As You Know" or definite as it may be important for some forum members.

Ian
    Our WTR (over 2 years ago) stated that to gain PR I had to work as an electrician and get EWRB registration.
    NZIS didn't specify the exact job, but did specify that it had to be an electricians job.

As Ian says, there is usually conditions attached before you are granted PR.

If I had got a job fruit picking instead of sparkying, PR would have been declined.

Nick.

Then, what kind of WTR is the one offered for Skilled Migrant Applicants?
    Skilled migrants applicants without a job offer have the tendency (not all applicants) to be given a WTR offer, and have their residency applications deferred for 12 months. This WTR, is a bit different from the normal WTR visa as the requirements are very minimal. This is because bulk of requirements have been submitted along with the ITA already.
    Another point, AFAIK if you apply for a PR without a job offer then there is NOT a tendency to be offered a WTR instead. There is a missing step from your information i.e. if you apply for a PR without a job offer then you will be asked to have an interview which may be by phone or in person. This interview is used to determine your prospects at settling in NZ. If NZIS believe that you will settle then you will be offered a PR and if not then they will offer you a WTR. This WTR gives you a chance to come to NZ and prove that you can indeed settle.

I've no idea what criteria they use for deciding but would assume that it includes the type of work that you are looking for, what country you come from, how well you can communicate and what support structure you already have in NZ i.e. any friends or family.

Quote Originally Posted by NikT View Post
    Our WTR (over 2 years ago) stated that to gain PR I had to work as an electrician and get EWRB registration.
    NZIS didn't specify the exact job, but did specify that it had to be an electricians job.

As Ian says, there is usually conditions attached before you are granted PR.

If I had got a job fruit picking instead of sparkying, PR would have been declined.

Nick.
    Thanks for backing up my question, it should be noted though that yossarian is talking about a very specific type of WTR and not the standard one that we applied for, so the rules may be different in this case?

Ian

Thumbs down

• Proof of funds to stay in NZ for 3 months. This is $1000 (NZD) per month per individual if accommodation hasn't been arranged, or $400 (NZD) per month per individual if there's accomodation set already. This is officially stated here.
    Hi yossarian, I have some questions about proof of funds . If you could please share your experience on this .
    • What kind of proofs INZ accepts as funds? In case of bank statements do they require current statement or statements for past few months ?
    • Any Idea what is regarded as arranged accommodation ? Would letter from resident friend in New Zealand saying that he will provide for accommodation be considered as arranged accommodation ?

Thanks in advance .

Quote Originally Posted by satyamsandhu View Post
    • What kind of proofs INZ accepts as funds? In case of bank statements do they require current statement or statements for past few months ?
    • Any Idea what is regarded as arranged accommodation ? Would letter from resident friend in New Zealand saying that he will provide for accommodation be considered as arranged accommodation ?
    I spoke with the immigration department in Wellington about 3 months ago about the proof of funds issue. They will accept recent bank statements - I didn't ask for specifics on what "recent" meant, but I do remember the INZ employee saying that one statement was fine. She also said a photocopy of my American Express card was fine as proof of funds, without any letter or statement from AmEx. This seemed odd to me so I pressed her on it, and I'm sure this was their position at the time since she checked with her supervisor to confirm. I'm not sure about their guidelines for accommodation, although I'd bet your letter would suffice. Make sure your friend includes his contact details in the letter.

Good luck!

Smile

thank you Nate for all the information. It is rather strange not much information (about proof of funds (WTR)) is available at INZ website .

I could not find any requirements of the type of job you can get so may have led yossarian astray, but I have tracked it down. The main message is it depends on what they decided when your visa was granted, on a case by case basis, but there is a general category you would be put into as per this link:

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra.../caniworkinnz/

I have to add however, there is no "other" category. You can apply for PR without a job offer, without a skill from the skills list. This list also seems to be the standard WTR visa, not the PR->WTR visa (they really should have called it something different).

Anyone out there been through this method who can give advice?

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    Thanks for backing up my question, it should be noted though that yossarian is talking about a very specific type of WTR and not the standard one that we applied for, so the rules may be different in this case?

Ian

The information here is for a PR application which has been "converted" to the WTR. The PR->WTR given out when the INZ team is unsure of your ability to settle. For example, you have 15 years experience with degree in a industry area that employees very small number of people and they are unsure of your chances to get a job using your skills, or possibly you have only been speaking English for 2 years and they want to give you a chance to settle (and learn more) in case you find it difficult to get employment.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast