Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mexican food in NZ

Default Mexican food in NZ

I know a few of you are keen to find Mexican foodstuffs here so I noted a website from the recent Dish magazine.... I haven't tried their products but will be seeking them out. Has anyone used them?

http://www.tiopablo.co.nz

We used to buy their corn tortillas and bought masa from them once. They are fine but a bit dear. I have not tried the seasonings, they are new. We now make our own corn tortillas and they are much better fresh than anything already made.

We got masa and a tortilla press from: http://www.mexifoods.co.nz/

I highly recommend doing your own tortillas if you eat them regularly! It is a higher outlay at first but for us it easily pays for itself, the press is $50. We failed miserably trying to do it without a press.

They have a wide range of other things as well so worth checking out!

Chris

I haven't tried tiopablo so can't help there, but I've ordered twice from mexifoods and been impressed with how fast/reasonably priced their delivery was. I get dried chilis, tomatillos, some sauces & hominy from them. I'm too scared to start making homemade tortillas as I'm sure we'd gain several kilos each if we had fresh ones in the house!

For those in Wellington, the Wellington High School community education programme offered Latin American & Mexican cooking classes last year which we took. They were fun & I regularly make some of the recipes we learned, like enchiladas with homemade sauce and Cuban ropa vieja/moro. It's not on the schedule for the rest of 2008 but if you're interested for next year, their website is here: http://www.cecwellington.ac.nz//course/food

Jen

Yay! It is good to know we can get good ingredients in NZ. It is hard enough in London.. but it is getting better.

-una

i really miss being able to go out and have good mexican food with a nice cool margarita... i will have to take a look at getting a tortilla press. we buy them all the time, and they are not cheep.

for those of you in the wellington region, there is a place called the "chilli patch" just south of otaki on HWY 1. we stopped there in late summer and picked our own chillies, including jalapenos, to make homemade salsas and cook with. i wish we would have picked more, our stash that we kept in the freezer is gone now. so we will have to wait until summer...

they also sells some homemade bottled chilli sauces which are great to add to homemade mexiacan dishes.

laurel

mmmmm. mexican food. i'd kill for a carne asada taco and a chile releno. Last time my friend went back to California, he brought back a suitcase full of tortillas. I make sure i stock up on tapatio as well.

i did find a local restaurant in Matakana that has access to good tortillas - they apparently tried it as a mexican food restaurant, but discovered there is little demand for it in NZ. owell.

It's strange, Dan, the Kiwis I've met really aren't in to hot and spicy food, I find... I made some savoury muffins for a neighbour with a pinch (v. small pinch) of cayenne and she complained it nearly blew her head off - I couldn't taste it!

Yes, I've noticed that hot stuff is hard to find.
    My OH is after me to buy a deep fryer to I can make him some hot wings but I'm pretending I don't hear that...

I figured I could make my own tortillas and if I can get these pepper seeds to sprout and grow I should be able to make some lovely salsa (have I gone on enough about Nz tomatoes? Yuuummm). I found beans at a BinInn and with rice and a slow cooker I'll be in business.

Have seen some mexican restaurants but a bit afraid to try them :

Tortilla press sounds really interesting......so how exactly do you used them

We used to eat loads but as they are so expensive here we rarely buy any. I did have a go at making our own follwing the instructions on the side of a box of cornmeal last year......if I remember right it said to roll between 2 sheets of clingfilm, peel of the film and cook straight away, but it didn't work at all and they just disintegrated

Maybe we should instigate the great Mexican tortilla hunt and find a good restaurant for a wee forum gathering in CHC - I'm up for some hot stuff

Karenx

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast