Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No job???

Default No job???

Just thought we would ask, how many members are planning their move or have already successfully made the move with out having a job offer?

We are due to arrive end of Jan 2009, neither my wife or have job offers but we do have residence Visa's granted under the skilled migrant catergory. I have had some contact with companies who will possible be prepared to see me nearer the time should there be any suitable vacancies.

Is anyone else in the same boat? or are we being very brave/stupid?

Thanks,
    D&J

We came here on visitors visas with no jobs or interviews or work contacts... it worked out fine (OH in I.T, arrived in Chch). Success will all depend on when you arrive, what job you do, where you settle, your salary expectations etc etc.

We did much the same as Moorf did, in that we came here with nothing to go to. We didnt have the safety net of those little blue stickers either.
    Keep your minds open and you should be just fine. Most potential employers value the fact that you have already made the huge leap in coming to NZ to start with.
    Good luck.

Hey D&J,

We were in the same boat as you when we moved over - residence visas but no job offers and nothing on the horizon.

About a week before we were due to fly over my OH managed to secure an interview for the week we arrived and then he managed to get an interview set up for the day after we arrived.

Anyway he got offered both jobs but we turned both of them down as by the time he was offered them we had fallen in love with Tauranga and the jobs were in New Plymouth and Wellington. We figured that although we had no jobs lined up in Tauranga when he turned the jobs down, we'd left good jobs in the UK to come 12,000 miles so we may as well try and get work in the town we liked most and then if we couldn't we'd reevaluate!! Some people would say we were mad but hey, you only live once and so why not make yourself as happy as you can!!!

It is very stressful giving up the security of two full time jobs and moving to the other side of the world without any work to fall back on but it's worth it in the end

Hi D&J, do you know where you're heading for? What areas of work are you in? Coming with PR already, you're already in good stead. Just get some interviews lined up - communication is the key with companies / recruiters - make sure you keep them informed as to your itinerary and rent / buy a mobile as soon as you get here and let everyone know the number.

You'll be right.

Talking

we are doing just that! No jobs just turning up with PR! Mad or brave? Or just desperate to give our kids a better future??? - time will tell

Yes we are in the same boat, residency granted and due in February 2009. Have applied for a few jobs form here, no luck. I think the bottome line is they want you there, infact some of the jobs i have seen (i am in IT by the way) state that you should be in the country. So it is not just down to having residency, work permit etc. Some have been lucky and secured before going.

Default In the same boat

Yep, we are also in the same boat (PR visas granted). I'm heading first to Christchurch in November to look for a job and a place and husband and kids will follow suite in December.

My husband was in Christchurch last year and all people he met confirmed to him that it would be much easier to find a job once you are settled in NZ.

Where are you heading to?

no jobs here either... and can't wait to get over there!

Quote Originally Posted by thewoodies View Post
    we are doing just that! No jobs just turning up with PR! Mad or brave? Or just desperate to give our kids a better future??? - time will tell
    Same here!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast