Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: "Forgetting" about US debt while living in NZ?

Quote Originally Posted by victoria24 View Post
    errr.. what is the relevance of a persons skin colour to their attitude toward money?
    No relation at all to ATTITUDE about money but rather INCOME/EARNING POTENTIAL. White men top the list in the US with women and people of color lagging behind - not just when comparisons of groups of people are made but when you are looking at wage compensation for comparable positions.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0763170.html
    The Equal Pay Act was signed in 1963, making it illegal for employers to pay unequal wages to men and women who hold the same job and do the same work. At the time of the EPA's passage, women earned just 58 cents for every dollar earned by men. By 2006, that rate had only increased to 77 cents, an improvement of less than half a penny a year. Minority women fare the worst. African-American women earn just 64 cents to every dollar earned by white men, and for Hispanic women that figure drops to merely 52 cents per dollar.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that in 2007 female financial advisors earned 53.7% of the median weekly wages of male financial advisors, and women in sales occupations earned just 64.8% of men's wages in equivalent positions.
    -----------------
    http://www.stats.govt.nz/products-an...7-qtr-hotp.htm

Average weekly income from all sources for the 2007 June quarter:

was up 10.4 percent for males (to $832) and up 7.8 percent for females (to $510), from the June 2006 quarter.
    ------------------
    http://www.stats.govt.nz/products-an...=para004Master

Scroll down to see breakdown of income based on ethnicity in NZ

think you may have missed my point. IMHO, the previous post looked like the forumite who started the thread was being judged by their colour which I find offensive.it's not something I would ever think about myself but your post caught me by surprise

Quote Originally Posted by victoria24 View Post
    the previous post looked like the forumite who started the thread was being judged by their colour
    No, just merely a statement that a white guy, with no kids or family to support, in IT has no reason to state he cannot bring himself to repay his $2000 student loan because of the exchange rate.

Because of his ethnicity coupled with the relatively high paying profession he is in - it's a lame excuse.

I'm not JUDGING him, just stating a FACT.

White guys ARE paid more than white women or people of colour for similar positions.

Quote Originally Posted by migratory birds View Post
    White guys ARE paid more than white women or people of colour for similar positions.
    And black men (in the US) ARE criminals much more commonly than black women or white people. Does that mean that I go around assuming every black guy is likely to be a criminal?

There are statistics and valid generalizations that can be drawn from them that can be useful for studying society. But when you go around assuming things about an individual based simply on membership in a certain demographic, you are getting close to bigotry.

And IT is a broad category of work. There are high paying jobs but also pretty low paying ones.

I think it is very sad when somebody tries to break a contract.
    I agree with many people that commented above, such the importance of paying back a student loan, money that allowed you to make the salary you are currently making. After all in today's world, your education is your capital..

I am not wondering that we are having such a serious problem in the States right now, many people simply ignored the terms on their contract, and worse, never even read them in the first place.

By the way:Collection agencies in the States first try to work with the client in debt. No collection agency can just damage someone's credit without proving that they first attempted to resolve the issues (that is the purpose of a collection agency, if it was just about trashing someone's credit, a bank could do so).

I think a lot of people are lacking proper moral, and then blame the system. Money that was borrowed must be paid back, it does not matter what the circumstances are, the person in debt used that money and is 100% responsible for it.

Cheers:

Anna

Thread closed. It's not acceptable to link any forum member's behaviour to their ethnicity or race.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234