Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gang culture in New Zealand??!!

Default Gang culture in New Zealand??!!

During my research into the various locations throughout NZ, I've come across a surprising number of references to the 'youth gang culture' which is apparently on the increase throughout NZ. I was really surprised by this, especially when I read of it happening in places such as Rotorua and Whakatane and other smaller towns.
    Does anyone who is already over there have any experience of this? Are there places where it doesn't exist, places that are definate no-go areas etc? Any comments/info/opinions on this subject would be much appreciated!

there's this thread on the subject, might make for a starting point for you:
    http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....highlight=gang

Ive been in Christchurch for a few months and not really seen anything of the sort. I was told that the uni students have gangs but they are more like clicks and very harmless...bit like in school with the popular kids, rugby boys etc.

I'm afraid if I encountered any NZ gang members I'd have a really hard time taking them seriously compared to the gang activity I've been around before

Quote Originally Posted by BkyMonster View Post
    I'm afraid if I encountered any NZ gang members I'd have a really hard time taking them seriously compared to the gang activity I've been around before
    If they look anything like they do on some documentaries I've seen about them, you might want to reconsider that quickly if face to face with them...

I haven't met any, or seen any gang members or gang activity, but remember watching some Ross Kemp programme a while ago.

Daniela

I don't want to burst anyone's bubble here but the gang culture in NZ really does have to be taken seriously. The members are largely from the Maori population and I suspect the origins are tribal but the American gang culture influence has muddied their waters somewhat.

Speaking of my own experience in a school in Hamilton, the effect the gang culture has on its youth is depressing to say the least. Kids come to school having had little or no sleep because of the drug/alcohol fuelled parties at their 'home'. Youngsters are recruited and put through initiation tests, e g theft, stabbing, bashings. Some as young as 13 are so 'besotted' by the culture that it is all they can think or talk about - makes teaching somewhat of a side issue.

There are areas of the country where gang membership is more prevalent than others and it seems that the North Island has more than its fair share. It is a very real problem here with talk of outlawing gangs - as they appear to have tried in Australia- acknowledging that the gangs are a major element in the crime statistics.

However, for the most part, unless you are in the heartlands of gang territory, the worst you can expect is a feeling of intimidation by lads in hoodies wearing sunglasses, bandanas (blue or red depending on which gang) and oversized baseball caps which they only seem able to wear sideways on - hence hoodies with oversize hoods. They amble along with arms at 90 degs to the body as if they're auditioning for a part in a Thunderbird puppet movie without the strings. If they're in a car it's usually black and dented with very loud eardrum splitting music and a large exhaust (inversely proportional to their intellectual capcity probably). Speech is sporadic and usually unintelligible. Frequent spitting.

Now that I've depressed you all, don't think it's an NZ problem. There are similar example all over the UK and, no doubt, elsewhere. The answer is do your research and don't be afraid to ask politically incorrect questions.

The situation with gangs, particularly youth in NZ is not good. The youth have their little gangs, they call themselves "Bloods" and "Crips" and align themselves with the adult gangs like Mongrel Mob or Black Power, the senior gang members are all too happy to get the kids to do their dirty work.
    The sad fact is that youth criminals are not held accountable in NZ, anything short of murder or a very infamous crime and the maximum penalty is a few months in a semi secure childrens facility, and this only happens after many, many, many "second chances". While in these facilities they get pocket money, clothes, use of a swimming pool, computers and video games, all kinds of lollies and the government (taxpayers) will pay for transportation and accomodation for their families to come see them.

If some 6"2, 120Kg 16 year old decides to bash you and take your money and car and he happens to get hurt because you resisted, then you will be in a lot more trouble with the law than he will.

Nicely put, Lockstock

I'd like to back the comment that it will depend to a large extent where you choose to live.
    The gangs where I live are small and mostly wannabees. Most of us never see them.

South Island has much less problem, that's for sure.

Thanks for that. I won't let it put me off in any way because the whole 'youth culture' thing is just one thing among many of the reasons we want to leave the uk!! Anyone have any particular experiences of this in Nelson (as this week Nelson is the hot favourite!!)?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast